17 March 1939 |
|Fields||Urology, Medicine Nephrology|
|Alma mater||University of Cairo|
|Known for||Founders of the Mansura Urology and Nephrology Center|
|Influences||A world leader in kidney transplantation, urology operations|
|Notable awards||Several National & International Awards|
Member of the British and American Urology Associations
He was one of the founders of the Ghoneim Urology and Nephrology Center (WHO Collaborating Centre for Management of Renal and Urological Disorders, Mansoura, Egypt. He is also a member of the International Society of Urology, a member of the British and American Urology Associations. He is a world leader in kidney transplantation, general and specialised urology operations, prostate diseases, tumours of the genito-urinary system, renal stone operations, correction of congenital anomalies and urology endoscopic and laparoscopic surgery.
- 1 Clinical Career & Experiences
- 2 Honors & Prizes
- 3 Scientific Publications & Papers 
- 4 Founding Urology & Nephrology center (UNC)
- 5 International Training Course “Techniques in Reconstructive Urology”
- 6 Gaza War Medical Relief effort
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Clinical Career & Experiences
- Rotating Internship, University of Cairo Hospital, 1961-1962.
- Resident, Departments of General Surgery and Urology, University of Cairo Hospitals, 1962 - 1965.
- Dr. Mohamed Ghoneim, a graduate of Kasr Al-Ainy Urology Department (1965) later moved on to start the world renowned Mansoura Center for Urology and Nephrology.
- Clinical Demonstrator in Urology, Mansoura University Hospital,1965 - 1968.
- Lecturer in Urology, Mansoura Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura, Egypt, 1968, May 1971.
- Registrar, Departments of Urology & General Surgery (transplantation) South Mead General Hospital, Bristol, England.
- Assistant Prof. of Urology, Mansoura University Hospital, Mansoura Egypt, October 1972.
- Clinical Fellow in Urology, Memorial-Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, New York, U.S.A., 1973 - June 1974.
- Research Fellow, Urodynamic Lab. Dept. of Urology, University of Sherbrooke Medical Centre, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada, 1974 - 1975.
- Prof. of Urology, Mansoura University Hospital, Mansoura Egypt, 1976.
- Advisor to Nature Reviews Urology
Honors & Prizes
- President & Member in The Endourology Society for the year 1987.
- Honorary Doctor in Medicine, University of Goteborg, SWEDEN, 1988.
- Winsbrue-White, Lecturer, Royal Society of Medicine, England, 1990.
- The Saint-Paul Medal Award, British Urological Association, 1992.
- National award for Medical Sciences, Egypt, 1997.
- King Faisal International Prize, 1999.
- Arab America Association, 2000.
- Muberak's Scientific Award, 2001.
- Recipient of the Egyptian National Scientific Award, 2001
- European Urology Society nominated him in 2004 to receive its annual award.
- Winner of the SIU-Félix Guyon Medal (2006)
|This article lacks ISBNs for the books listed in it. (June 2011)|
Editor and contributor of 47 books in the field of psychiatry and psychology in both the Arabic and English languages (see books at Okasha books.
More than 14 Book or Book Chapters
- Advances in Medical Oncology; Pergman Press Oxford and New York, 1979. Ed. B.W. Fox, Radical Cystectomy for Carcinoma of the Bilharzial Bladder, P. 279.
- Advances in Medical Oncology; Pregman Press Oxford and New York, 1979.
Ed. P.M. Wilkinson. Results of Treatment in Carcinoma of the Bilharzial Bladder. P. 289.
- Detection of Bladder Cancer; Al-Ahram Press, Cairo, 1981. Ed. El-Bolkainy and Chu. Diagnostic Cystoscopy for Schistosomal Lesions of the Urinary Bladder. P. 138.
- Detection of Bladder Cancer; Al-Ahram Press, Cairo, 1981. Ed. El-Bolkainy and Chu. Pathobiology and management of carcinoma in situ of the bladder. P. 186.
- Detection of Bladder Cancer; Al-Ahram Press, Cairo, 1981.Ed. El-Bolkainy and Chu. Management of superficial bladder cancer. P. 192.
- Bladder Cancer; CRC Press, Florida, 1983. Ed. I. ElSebai. Urinary diversion following Cystectomy, P. 87.
- Bladder Cancer; CRC Press, Florida, 1983.Ed. I. ElSebai, 2000 Rad preoperative radiotherapy and cystectomy for the treatment of carcinoma of the bilharzial bladder. P. 127.
- Tropical Urology; Churchil-Livingstone, Edinburgh, 1984. Ed. I Husain. Bilharziasis the lower genitourinary tract. P. 261.
- Urologie; Masson, Paris, 1985. Ed. S. Khoury. Bilharziose Uro-Genitale, P. 491.
Bladder Reconstruction and Continent Diversion, 1991. Ed. King, Stone and Webster. The Modified Rectal bladder P. 228.
- Clinical Urology; J.B. Lippincott Company, 1994. R.J. Krane, M.B. Siroky and J.M. Fitzpatrick . Mohamed A. Ghoneim : Non-transitional Cell Bladder Cancer, P. 679.
- Recent Advances in Urology/Andrology, 1995. Orthotopic bladder substitutes, P. 103.
- Glenn's Urologic Surgery; Lippincott-Raven, 1998, Sam D. Graham, Jr. Radical Cystectomy in Men . Chapter 23, P. 187.
- Textbook of Genitourinary Surgery: Blackwell Science, 1998, H.N. Whitfield, Bilharziasis the Genitourinary Tract, Chapter, 49, 653
- Glenn's Urologic Surgery, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2009 by Sam D. Graham, Thomas E Keane
Chapter 91 P.595 
Published more than 130 original articles in national and international journals.
He has presented many Lectures, Presentations & Posters in many Egyptian, Arabic & International Conferences.
Founding Urology & Nephrology center (UNC)
Based in Mansoura, Egypt, the Urology & Nephrology Center within Mansoura University was established in 1983 by Prof. Mohamed A. Ghoneim, a colleague of Professor Nils Kock, the inventor of the Kock pouch. In two buildings, UNC houses amongst others, 160 beds, five Operating Rooms, six Outpatient Clinics and a Radiology Department. The facilities in the UNC Radiology Department include X-Ray Diagnostics, Computed Tomography, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Angiography, Gamma Camera, Ultrasound, Computed Radiography performing over 75,000 examinations per year.
The Centre was founded in 1983 and owes a lot to the vision and single handed efforts of Professor Mohamed Ghoneim for its existence. The Urology Foundation offer grant for visiting Mansoura, Egypt to attend the international training course on “Techniques in Reconstructive Urology”.
Dr Ghoneim achievements on the one hand and see his humility on the other. It is advised to go there to draw inspiration on leadership.
UNC is now approximately 85 percent digital, enabling physicians to access and review patients' diagnostic images and information electronically and make quick and sound care decisions. The newly implemented bilingual system will greatly increase efficiency of the healthcare facility by providing integrated patient information such as demographics, reports, orders and images at one desktop.
International Training Course “Techniques in Reconstructive Urology”
He started the International Training Course “Techniques in Reconstructive Urology” in 2010.
Gaza War Medical Relief effort
- http://www.mans.eun.eg/pcvs/14035.asp[self-published source?]
- "Ghoneim Urology and Nephrology Center a WHO Collaborating Centre for Management of Renal and Urological Disorders". Apps.who.int. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/source/XXXIII/232/pdf/page22.pdf[self-published source?]
- http://www.kasralainyurology.net/history.php[dead link] History of Kasr Al-Ainy Urology Department
- "Why Study at Memorial Sloan-Kettering?". Memorial Sloan-Kettering Institute. November 1, 2007.[not in citation given]
- "Advisory Board". Nature Publishing Group.
- "International Endourology society". Endourology.org. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- Sosostris, Madame (2001-12-19). "Al-Ahram Weekly". Weekly.ahram.org.eg. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- Dr. Mohamed Ghoneim nominated to receive European Urology Society Award
- International Society of Urology
- "Mohamed Ghoneim". Hindawi.com. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- "Mohamed A Ghoneim - research profile on BiomedExperts". Biomedexperts.com. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- USA (2012-04-04). "Pubmed". Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- Glenn's Urologic Surgery book Chapter. Books.google.com.eg. 2009-10-26. ISBN 9780781791410. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- A Tribute to Nils G. Kock, 1924–2011; Canadien Journal of Surgery; June 2012; doi: 10.1503/cjs.001212PMC; [reprint from US National Library of Medicine; National Institutes of Health]; 55(3); Pp. 153–154; retrieved March 2014.
- http://18.104.22.168/search/srpcache?ei=UTF-8&p=mohamed+ghoneim%2Burology&xa=zeNLreEZ023ql.zKtw.Rxg--%2C1293805547&fr=ush-mail&u=http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=mohamed+ghoneim%2burology&d=4938615544613624&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=4d6848e2,72acb78a&icp=1&.intl=us&sig=0l6qDfVJO1nGBGOGsASUzw--[dead link] GE]
- Patrick Gordon, Rockmill Webspinners: http://www.rockmill.co.uk. "The Urology foundation". The Urology foundation. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- http://22.214.171.124/search/srpcache?ei=UTF-8&p=mohamed+ghoneim%2Burology&xa=zeNLreEZ023ql.zKtw.Rxg--%2C1293805547&fr=ush-mail&u=http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=mohamed+ghoneim%2burology&d=4938615544613624&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=4d6848e2,72acb78a&icp=1&.intl=us&sig=0l6qDfVJO1nGBGOGsASUzw--[dead link] GE
- "International Training Course "Techniques in Reconstructive Urology"" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- "Famous Arabic Urologists" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-05-22.