Mohammad Khalil Naik
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from related articles; try the Find links tool for suggestions. (September 2011)|
Mohammad Khalil Naik (Urdu: محمد خليل نائیک) is a Kashmiri politician. He is a veteran leader of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) (CPI(M)) in Jammu & Kashmir. He served as Member of the Jammu & Kashmir Legislative Assembly representing the Wachi constituency 2002-2008. He is also a member of the Jammu & Kashmir State Committee of CPI(M).
Mohammad Khalil Naik won the Wachi seat in 2002, defeating the Jammu & Kashmir People's Democratic Party candidate Ghulam Hassan Bhat by a margin of merely 80 votes. Mohammad Khalil Naik got 4,133 votes (29.19%).
In April–May 2004, during the election campaign ahead of the Lok Sabha parliamentary election (in which fellow CPI(M) leader Mohammed Yousuf Tarigami contested the Anantnag constituency), militants conducted two attempts to kill Mohammad Khalil Naik. On April 28, 2004 militants hurled a grenade at his vehicle near Bungam as he was travelling to an election campaign meeting in Bonapora. The grenade missed the car but injured various bystanders, wounding two policemen and twelve civilians. And on May 17, 2004 Mohammad Khalil Naik's motorcade was attacked at Zainapora in the Shopian area of the Pulwama district. Mohammad Khalil Naik managed to escape unhurt from the attacks.
On August 8, 2007 militants opened fire on Mohammad Khalil Naik's vehicle near Bahibag as the legislator was touring his constituency. Mohammad Khalil Naik and his security team escaped unhurt from the attack.
- Business Standard. CPI(M) favours simplification of travel
- The Tribune. CPM MLA escapes bid on life
- People's Democracy. 7th J&K State Conference Of The CPI(M)
- The Economic Times. Small parties get smaller
- Election Commission of India. 35-Wachi Constituency of JAMMU & KASHMIR
- ExpressIndia. Landmines defused in J&K
- CNN. 2 dead, 50 hurt in Kashmir attacks
- The Hindu. NC candidate escapes
- Times of India. CPI(M) MLA escapes bid on life in Pulwama
- gulfnews.com. High stakes for major Kashmir parties in tomorrow's elections
- Election Commission of India. 35-Wachi- Jammu & Kashmir