Mohammad Mehdi Behkish
|Mohammad Mehdi Behkish|
|Born||28 May 1944|
|Fields||Economic Development and Econometrics, Economics of Globalization, Iranian Economic Issues|
|Alma mater||(PhD) Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana, USA
(MA) University of Western Ontario in Canada
(BA) University of Tehran
|Notable awards||Knight of the order of the star of Italian Solidarity (cavaliere) (2009)|
Mohammad Mehdi Behkish (Persian: محمد مهدی بهکیش; born 1944) is an Iranian Economist. Dr. Behkish is a retired Associate professor at Allameh Tabatabaei University of Tehran. He served as president of Iran-Italy chamber of commerce more than 21 years (from 1992 until September 2013), where he is now president of the presidency Council.
Also at the same time, he has been the executive director (Secretary General) of Iranian National Committee of ICC (International Chamber of Commerce) in Iran Since 1985.
Early Life and Education
He earned his B.A. in Economics in Tehran University (1967), M.A. in Economics in University of Western Ontario in Canada (1971), and Ph.D. in Econometrics & Economic Development in Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana, USA (1977).
When he returned to Iran, 1978, he joined Abureyhan University which was later integrated with some other Universities and Institutions to establish Alameh Tabatabaei University after Islamic Revolution.
Dr. Behkish's career was formed in an environment in which his business experiences complemented his Academic work in the University. His various Positions in different Chamber in Iran which started from a consultative position, raised sharply to top management such as Secretary General of Iran Chamber of Commerce, and vice Chairman & S.G. of ICC in Iran and also President of Iran-Italy Chamber for which he received Knight of the order of the star of Italian Solidarity (cavaliere) from the President of State of Italy in 2009.
Since Dr. Behkish has been working with ICC (International Chamber of Commerce) which is based in Paris, for more than 25 years, he is well aware of the benefits of globalization, and hence, in addition of writing his books on such related subjects, he also has kept a window open in the country to connect interested businessman to international business Community.
Other books are mostly application of economic liberalization, conducted by cooperation of two other colleagues and in the context of work they did with the Ministry of Mines & Metals.
Dr. Behkish is an Economic columnist in variety of economic newspapers & magazines. He has a list of his published works which contains more than 100 articles & 50 interviews.
- “Two Proposals for Taking Advantage of Great Social Capital”, Donya-e-eqtesad Newspaper, 18 June 2013
- “Impact of Economic Crisis on the Process of Globalization”, Mehrnameh Monthly Magazine, March 2013
- “Paradox of Iran’s Economy”, Iran International, March 2013
- “Iran Development, History & Private Sector”, Interview with Dr. Behkish, Development & Industry Monthly Magazine, January 2013
- “US-China Rivalry in Asia & Iran’s Position”, Iran International, December 2012
- “Liberalization in the Context of Development Islamism in Turkey and Iran”, Interview with Dr. Behkish, Mehrnameh Monthly Magazine, 20 August 2012
- “Sustainable Economy Unity”, Iran International, July 2012
- “Reasons of Unemployment among Educated People”, Etemad Newspaper, 22 July 2012
- “Control of Corruption & Mafia in Georgia”, Donya-e-eqtesad Newspaper, 12 June 2012
- “Ambiguous Point in Removing Subsidies”, Donya-e-eqtesad Newspaper, 13 May 2012
- “The Model for Determining Exchange Rate”, Donya-e-eqtesad Newspaper, 15 February 2012
- “Proposed Package to Increase Production and Jobs”, Donya-e-eqtesad Newspaper, 7 August 2011
- “Warning on Effects of Price Correction of Energy Carriers”, Donya-e-eqtesad Newspaper, 10 March 2010
- “World Private Sector & Protectionism in Crisis”, Rastak, 24 November 2009
- “Iran, Financial Crisis & New Conditions”, Rastak /Roozonline, 14 December 2008
- "Relationship between Democracy, Policy & Economy”, Etemad Newspaper, 8 June 2008
- “Petrodollars Weakens Democracy”, Hamshahri Newspaper, 27 May 2008
- “Paradox of "Freedom in Choosing" from Thought to Action”, Donya-e-eqtesad Newspaper, 6, February 2008
- “Our Comparative Advantage is Trade”, Interview with Dr. Behkish, Monthly Attachment of Donya-e-eqtesad Newspaper, 2, September 2007
- “India’s Experience on Requirements for Communication with International Community”, Donya-e-eqtesad Newspaper, 22 May 2006
- “A Model for Planned Allocation & Financial Resources Control Using Fuzzy Logic (A Case Study on Kish Free Zone Org.)”, Program & Budget Magazine, Nov./Dec. 2003
- “Partnership Demanded Not Capital”, Iran International 4, March 1999
- “New Prospects of Iran-Italy Economic Relations”, the seminar of Iran-Day in Italy, Rome, 28 February 1997
- “Trade Opportunities in Iran and Ways to Further Expansion of Trade with the Netherlands,” the seminar in Rotterdam, Chamber of Commerce, 11 December 1996
- “Britain & Iran in a Changing World”, Anglo-Iranian Roundtable, University of Oxford, Windsor, 10–12 March 1992
- “Prospects of Iran-Italy Economic Relations”, the seminar organized by Italian Institute for Asia, Rome, 1992
- Iran-Italy Chamber of Commerce
- ICC- International Chamber of Commerce
- Iranian National Committee of ICC (ICCIran)
- Founders of Irano British Chamber of Commerce, Industries & Mines
- International Institute for Caspian Studies
- List of Dr. Behkish’s Articles in magazines
- Iranian e-Commerce Scientific Association
- Dr. Behkish’s PhD Thesis:“Economics of investing in human capital: the case of Iran”
- Oral History: Interview with Dr. Behkish