Mohammad Mehdi Zahedi
Mohammad Mehdi Zahedi (born in 1953 Kerman) is an Iranian politician and was the former minister of science and technology in Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's first cabinet from 2005 to 2009. He was approved by Iran's parliament with the least number of supporting votes possible (supporters had only one vote more than opponents). He was elected as a Member of the Parliament in 2012 elections.
Zahedi received his PhD in Mathematics from Kerman University where he is currently a "full professor". However, his scientific qualification has been questioned widely by Iranian scientific community. Zahedi has 15 scientific articles in ISI with very few citations (most of them self citations). He repeatedly called himself "one of the greatest mathematicians of the time". With such a minor scientific achievement he was promoted to full professorship in 1999 (when he had only published 11 articles). Zahedi's profile claims he is a member of New York Academy of Sciences. An investigation by BBC Persian in July 2009 debunked this claim. His profile also claims that he was named among the most prominent Mathematicians of the century by American Mathematical Society for which there is no evidence found on American Mathematical Society website.
Expulsion of university scientists
In 2006, the Ahmadinejad government systematically forced numerous Iranian scientists and University professors to resign or to retire. It has been referred to as a second cultural revolution. The policy has been said to replace current professors with younger ones. Many University professors received letters indicating their early retirement unexpectedly.
However many believe that the government's main goal is to replace Iranian scientists with fundamentalists and finally convert the universities into Hawza (traditional religious schools).
Despite huge demonstrations and protests of Iranian students, Zahedi appointed several mullahs with no academic degrees as chancellors of several Universities (the most prominent example being that of Tehran University).
Expelling the politically active students
Zahedi has expelled dozens of politically active students and those who were working in internal newspaper of university by refusing to enroll them for the new academic year (Fall 2006). He first denied the existence of such students but recently he said that those students had criminal cases such as robbery and sexual harassment. This made the students very angry and they asked the MPs for his impeachment.
Ignoring scientific merit in appointments
Zahedi's appointments and dismissals at the Science, Research and Technology Ministry were not based on merit. University chancellors had been formerly appointed after consulting university professors. However, the situation changed as Zahedi become Iran's minister of science and the criterion of meritocracy has been ignored.
Zahedi appointed Abbasali Amid Zanjani, a cleric with no academic degree as the chancellor of Tehran University.
Zahedi has been a member and head of Kerman city council since 2002.
||This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (October 2007)|
- Zahedi MM, Saeid AB, Borzooei RA, Implicative hyper K-algebras, CZECHOSLOVAK MATHEMATICAL JOURNAL 55 (2): 439-453 2005, Times Cited: 0
- Borzooei RA, Zahedi MM, Fuzzy structures on hyperK-algebras, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF UNCERTAINTY, FUZZINESS AND KNOWLEDGE-BASED SYSTEMS 10 (1): 77-93 FEB 002, Times Cited: 0
- Ameri R, Zahedi MM, Fuzzy chain complex and fuzzy homotopy, FUZZY SETS AND SYSTEMS 112 (2): 287-297 JUN 1 2000, Times Cited: 0
- Zahedi MM, Hasankhani A, F-polygroups .2, INFORMATION SCIENCES 89 (3-4): 225-243 MAR 1996, Times Cited: 2
- HadjiAbadi H, Zahedi MM, Some results on fuzzy prime spectrum of a ring, FUZZY SETS AND SYSTEMS 77 (2): 235-240 JAN 29 1996, Times Cited: 0
- ZAHEDI MM, ON FUZZY SEMIPRIMARY IDEALS, INFORMATION SCIENCES 82 (3-4): 257-266 JAN 1995, Times Cited: 0
- ZAHEDI MM, UPPER-CONTINUOUS AND COMPACTLY GENERATED PROPERTIES OF LATTICE OF L-FUZZY MODULES, FUZZY SETS AND SYSTEMS 60 (1): 103-108 NOV 25 1993, Times Cited: 0
- ZAHEDI MM, SOME RESULTS ON L-FUZZY MODULES, FUZZY SETS AND SYSTEMS 55 (3): 355-361 MAY 10 1993, Times Cited: 5
- ZAHEDI MM, A NOTE ON L-FUZZY PRIMARY AND SEMIPRIME IDEALS, FUZZY SETS AND SYSTEMS 51 (2): 243-247 OCT 26 1992, Times Cited: 4
- ZAHEDI MM, ON L-FUZZY RESIDUAL QUOTIENT MODULES AND P-PRIMARY SUBMODULES, FUZZY SETS AND SYSTEMS 51 (3): 333-344 NOV 10 1992, Times Cited: 5
- ZAHEDI MM, SOME RESULTS ON A GALOIS CONNECTION BETWEEN LATTICES OF L-FUZZY IDEALS, JOURNAL OF MATHEMATICAL ANALYSIS AND APPLICATIONS 170 (2): 343-352 NOV 1 1992, Times Cited: 0
- ZAHEDI MM, FUZZY RESEARCH AT KERMAN-UNIVERSITY, IRAN, FUZZY SETS AND SYSTEMS 50 (3): 359-359 SEP 25 1992, Times Cited: 0
- MASHINCHI M, ZAHEDI MM, ON L-FUZZY PRIMARY SUBMODULES, FUZZY SETS AND SYSTEMS 49 (2): 231-236 JUL 27 1992, Times Cited: 7
- ZAHEDI MM, A CHARACTERIZATION OF L-FUZZY PRIME IDEALS, FUZZY SETS AND SYSTEMS 44 (1): 147-160 NOV 5 1991, Times Cited: 7
- MASHINCHI M, ZAHEDI MM, A COUNTEREXAMPLE OF DAS,P.S. PAPER, JOURNAL OF MATHEMATICAL ANALYSIS AND APPLICATIONS 153 (2): 591-592 DEC 1990, Times Cited: 4
- Zahedi, MM, Hasankhani, A, F-polygroups (II), Information Sciences, v 89, n 3-4, Mar, 1996, p 225-243, Times Cited: 10
- Zahedi, MM, Hasankhani, A, Bolurian, A, On polygroups and fuzzy–subpolygroups, J. of Fuzzy Math, 1995, Times Cited: 9
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- کامبیز فتاحی بی بی سی، واشنگتن (1970-01-01). "BBC فارسی - ايران - آکادمی علوم نیویورک: وزیر علوم ایران عضو ما نیست". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- [dead link]
- Behnegarsoft.com. "آفتاب - انتقاد خوش چهره از خانه نشين كردن اساتيد". Aftabnews.ir. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- Behnegarsoft.com. "آفتاب - ابعاد خانه نشین شدن استادان دانشگاه". Aftabnews.ir. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- Esfandiari, Golnaz (2006-09-29). "Iran: Government Pressures Student Activists". Rferl.org. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- [dead link]