Mohd Puad Zarkashi
Mohd Puad Zarkashi
|Member of the Malaysian Parliament
for Batu Pahat, Johor
8 March 2008 – 5 May 2013
|Preceded by||Junaidy Abdul Wahab (UMNO—BN)|
|Preceded by||Mohd Idris bin Jusi (PKR—PR)|
7 July 1957 |
|Political party||UMNO—Barisan Nasional|
|Occupation||Member of Parliament|
Dr. Mohd Puad Zarkashi is a Malaysian politician and the Member of Parliament for the Batu Pahat constituency in the State of Johor. He is a member of the United Malay National Organisation (UMNO) party and a Deputy Minister of Education under government of Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.
In April 2008, Puad called for the resignation of then Prime Minister Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi after UMNO's performance in the 2008 election. When Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak replaced Abdullah as Prime Minister in April 2009, Puad was appointed a Deputy Education Minister.
In September 2012, Puad reiterated his belief that homosexuals can be identified through various means among which includes the profound use of "V-Neck and sleeveless clothing" as well as a person's personal preference for "tight and light-colored clothing", which he believes are "symptoms" which would allow parents to spot whether or not their son may be a homosexual, supporting the need to discipline them into turning straight "like it's a disease which can be cured" - a stance that is also endorsed by Malaysia's Education Ministry because they believe that this could actually affect one's ability to learn.
|2008||Mohd Puad Zarkashi (UMNO)||32,461||60%||Muhamad Abdullah (PAS)||19,757||37%|
|Year||Pakatan Rakyat||Votes||Pct||Barisan Nasional||Votes||Pct|
|2013||Mohd Idris bin Jusi (PKR)||38,667||51%||Mohd Puad Zarkashi (UMNO)||36,935||49%|
- "Malaysia Decides 2008". The Star (Malaysia). Star Publications (Malaysia). Retrieved 28 January 2010. Percentage figures are calculated based on total turnout. Includes results from the 2004 election.
- "Senator shares ideas on how to revive glory of Malaysian football". The Star (Malaysia) (Star Publications (Malaysia)). 18 July 2007. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- "Johor Umno Will Not Stop Divisions From Holding EGM, Says Ghani". Bernama. 5 April 2008. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- "Najib Announces 28-member Cabinet". Bernama. 9 April 2009. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- "Anggota Pentadbiran" (in Malay). Ministry of Education. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- "Guidelines to identify gay and lesbian symptoms published". MalaysiaKini. 13 September 2012. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- "Y.B. Dr. Mohd Puad Zarkashi". Ministry of Education. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
|This article about a Malaysian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|