Raina at the DVD launch of Devon Ke Dev - Mahadev, 2013
14 August 1982 |
Jammu, Jammu and Kashmir, India
|Years active||1995 – present|
Mohit Raina (born 14 August 1982) is an Indian television and Bollywood actor, most known for the lead role of Lord Shiva in the TV series, Devon Ke Dev – Mahadev, (2011–present), prior to which he had acted in TV soaps Chehra (2009) and Ganga Kii Dheej (2010). Raina grew up in Jammu, and later finished in the top five slot in the Grasim Mr. India 2005 competition. He started his acting career with a sci-fi TV show called Antariksh (2004) and later went on to play a role in the Mithun Chakraborty starrer film Don Muthu Swami (2008).
Early life and background
Born and brought up in Jammu in Jammu and Kashmir state, Raina he did his schooling from Kendriya Vidyalaya, Jammu, he left Jammu after graduating with a degree in commerce from Jammu University. While still getting ready to become a chartered accountant, he moved to Mumbai to pursue his acting dreams. As a teenager in Jammu, Raina weighed 107 kg, but lost 29 kg after he decided to participate in the modeling competition, 2005 Grasim Mr. India contest, where he was placed among the top five contestants. Raina currently lives in Mumbai.
His acting career began in 2004 when he acted in a science fiction TV show called Antariksh. In 2008, he starred as JaiKishan in a comedy movie called Don Muthu Swami. He again returned to television in 2009 with Chehra, a suspense drama revolving around a handicapped girl. Raina played her husband Garv, a young business tycoon. He was also a part of Bandini. In December 2010, Raina played the male lead, Agantuk, who played a pivotal role in eradication of the evil customs of the village, in the show Ganga Kii Dheej.
In 2011 as he was cast as the lead in Nikhil Sinha's Devon Ke Dev - Mahadev. The series focuses on the God Shiva and portrays his journey from a hermit to a householder through his marriage to Sati and later to Parvati. Raina worked on improving his physique for the role, and started learning the Indian classical dance form Kathak, which is integral part of his role as Shiv. As the serial grew in popularity, remained in the prime time slot usually reserved for daily soaps, Raina too received widespread acclaim, he played over 30 different characters in the series, and especially for his double role as Jallandhar.
- Don Muthu Swami, 2008 as JaiKishan
|2004–2005||Antariksh - Ek Amar Katha||Vikrant||Star Plus|
|2009||Chehra||Garv Dhanvant Rai||Star Plus|
|2010||Bandini||Rishabh Hiten Mahiyavanshi||Imagine TV|
|2011||Ganga Kii Dheej||Agantuk||Sahara One|
|2011 – present||Devon Ke Dev – Mahadev||Lord Shiva||Life OK|
|2013||Mahabharat (2013 TV series)||Lord Shiva||Star Plus|
|2013 – present||Katha Mahadev Putra Bal Ganesh Ki||Lord Shiva||Life OK|
|Year||Awards Event||Nomination||For the show||Result|
|2012||Zee Gold Awards||Most Fit Actor||Devon Ke Dev - Mahadev||Nominated|
|People's Choice Awards India||Favorite TV Drama Actor||Devon Ke Dev - Mahadev|
|Indian Television Academy Awards||ITA Special Scroll Of Honour||Devon Ke Dev - Mahadev||Won|
|BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Best Actor TV Fiction-Male||Devon Ke Dev - Mahadev|
|2013||Indian Telly Awards||Best Actor In A Lead Role (Jury)||Devon Ke Dev - Mahadev|
|Zee Gold Awards||Stellar Performance of The Year||Devon Ke Dev - Mahadev|
|Indian Television Academy Awards||Best Actor in a negative role||Devon Ke Dev - Mahadev|
- "Friends want me to buy a Ferrari: Mohit Raina". The Times of India. 14 August 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "Mohit Raina: No difference between big and small screen". indya.com. March 2009.
- "Love to play a super hero on television: Mohit Raina". The Times of India. 8 February 2012.
- "Personal Agenda: Mohit Raina, Actor". Hindustan Times. 9 March 2013. Retrieved 10 March 2013.
- "Small screen Lord Shiva was a 107-kg teen". The Times Of India. 5 June 2013. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Model Mahadev". Indian Express. 5 January 2012.
- "Pune Sailor is Grasim Mr. India 2005". Grasim.com. Retrieved JUne 12, 2013.
- "'Mahadev' Mohit Raina". Hindustan Times. 28 March 2013. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Movie of the week : Don Muthuswami". The Tribune. 23 May 2008.
- "Mohit Raina's big break". The Times of India. 29 December 2011.
- "Mohit Raina to learn Kathak for serial". The Times of India. 24 February 2012.
- "Mythologicals slug it out with soaps on prime time band - Times Of India". The Times of India. 5 June 2013. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Devon Ke Dev Mahadev: the battle between evil and good". Hindustan Times. 3 June 2013. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Double roles make a comeback on TV". The Times Of India. 20 May 2013. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "12th Indian Telly Awards". Indiantelevision.com. 24 May 2013. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mohit Raina.|