Syed Mohsin Naqvi
|Born||Ghulam Abbas Naqvi
May 5, 1947
Dera Ghazi Khan
|Died||January 15, 1996
Village Sadat, Dera Ghazi Khan.
|Subjects||Love, Philosophy, Ahl al-Bayt|
Syed Mohsin Naqvi (1947−1996) was a renowned Pakistani poet.
Birth and Family
Mohsin was born on May 5, 1947 in a neighbourhood called 'Muhallah-e-Sadat' in Dera Ghazi Khan, in present day Pakistan. His Father Syed Chirag Hussain, was a saddlemaker and later worked as a food vendor. His parents had named him 'Ghulam Abbas' which he later changed to 'Ghulam Abbas Mohsin Naqvi'. Mohsin had six siblings.
He was shot at his residence in Lahore on 15 January 1996. His Funeral prayer was led by Tehreek Nafaz Fiqh-e-Jafariya, Chief Allama Agha Syed Hamid Ali Shah Moosavi at Nasir Bagh, Lahore. His body was then moved to the town of his birth where he was laid to rest in presence of thousands of people.
A partial list of Urdu poetry books of Naqvi:
- Azaab-e-Deed عذاب دید
- Khaima-e-Jaan خیمہء جاں
- Berg-e-Sehra برگ سحرا
- Band-e-Kbaa بند قبا
- Kehtay hain baray fakhar say hum ghum nahi kerty
- Matam ki sada suntay hain Matam nahi kertay
- Vo log bhala samjhein gay kiya Raz-e-Shahadat
- Jo Eid to kertay hain Muharram nahi kertay
- Kyun aap ka dill jalta hai kyun jalta hai seena
- Hum aap k seenay pe to Matam nahi kertay
- Moshin ye Maqbool Riwayat hai jahan main
- Qatil kabhi maqtool ka matam nahi kertay
- Tossell, Ivor (September 1, 1991). "Mohis Naqvi Interview,Roz-nama-e-Dastak" (PDF). Shia Multimedia (in Urdu).