Moi International Airport
|Moi International Airport|
|IATA: MBA – ICAO: HKMO
Placement on map is approximate
|Airport type||Public, Civilian|
|Operator||Kenya Airports Authority|
|Elevation AMSL||200 ft / 61 m|
Moi International Airport serves the city of Mombasa and surrounding communities. It is the second-largest and second-busiest airport in Kenya, behind Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi. Mombasa Airport is operated by Kenya Airports Authority. It was named after former Kenyan President Daniel arap Moi during his tenure.
At 61 metres (200 ft) above sea level, the airport has two runways: Runway 1 measures 3,350 metres (10,990 ft) in length and Runway 2 measures 1,260 metres (4,130 ft) in length. Runway 1 is also known as Runway 03/21, while Runway 2 is also known as Runway 15/33. Runway 1 is equipped with an ILS (Instrument Landing System).
The airport was built during the Second World War by the Engineer Corps of the South African Army. During that war it was used by the Fleet Air Arm as a land base of the British Eastern Fleet which was based at nearby Kilindini Harbour from 1942, by the RAF which operated anti-submarine Catalina flying boats off the East Africa coast and by the South African Air Force which was engaged in the war against Italy in Abyssinia. It was originally known as Port Reitz Airport.
Mombasa Airport was expanded to an international airport in 1979. Aircraft Maintenance facilities for private and light- to medium-size commercial aircraft are provided from government and private hangars by Benair Aircraft Engineering, licensed by the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority (KCAA) as an approved maintenance organisation (AMO).
From July to September 1994, Moi International Airport was used almost continuously as a refuelling station during the Operation Support Hope humanitarian mission into Rwanda. Empty C-141 and C-5 freighter jets returning to Europe flew to Mombasa due to the scarcity of fuel in the African interior. The airlift through Mombasa ceased by October due to runway expansion work.
Airlines and destinations
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Moi International Airport.|
- Location of Moi International Airport At Google Maps
- Kenya Airports Authority – Moi International Airport
- Accident history for MBA at Aviation Safety Network – Mombasa Airport
- "Distance between Mombasa () (Airport) and Jomo Kenyatta Airport Nairobi (Nairobi Area) (Kenya)". GlobeFeed.com. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Mombasa – Moi International Airport (MBA)". AirGorilla. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- Dimensions of Mombasa Airport Runways
- "Kenya Airways Adds Mombasa – Dar es Salaam Service from July 2014". 25 March 2014. Retrieved 25 March 2014.