|Molde International Jazz Festival
|Begins||13 July 2015|
|Ends||18 July 2015|
|Location(s)||Molde, Møre og Romsdal|
|Years active||1961 - present|
Molde International Jazz Festival (MIJF) or Moldejazz (established 1961 in Molde) takes place annually in July, and is known as one of the oldest jazz festivals in Europe. It was initiated by the local Storyville Jazz Club. Since 1964 it has received government support, and the government Buddy Award was for several years awarded at this festival. To the extent Molde festival operates with records, is probably the bassist Bjørn Kjellemyr holder of "Most festivals in a row" musicians record. In 2015 he visits Moldejazz for the 17'th time in row as performer. Two club gigs with Dag Arnesen's band is on the program for the versatile bassist. Guttorm Guttormsen (1974), Jon Balke (1975), Karin Krog (1978), Knut Riisnæs (1984), Terje Rypdal (1985, 1986, 1988) and Jon Eberson (1987, 1989) are among the artists he have visited Moldejazz with through the years.
Celebrity jazz artists
Artist in residence
- 2000: Chick Corea
- 2001: Pat Metheny
- 2002: Paal Nilssen-Love
- 2003: Michael Brecker
- 2004: Håvard Wiik
- 2005: Arild Andersen
- 2006: Joshua Redman
- 2007: Terje Rypdal
- 2008: Marilyn Mazur
- 2009: Arve Henriksen
- 2010: Nils Petter Molvær
- 2011: Dave Holland
- 2012: Jon Balke
- 2013: Jason Moran
- 2014: Sidsel Endresen
Frequently visiting artists
- Asmund Bjørken (1961/62,65-68/70/74/79/80/93),
- Jan Garbarek (1964-66/68/69/71/75-78/80/82/85/88/90/94),
- Karin Krog (1963/68/70/71/78//84/87/97, 2008),
- Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen (1964-68/70-74/81/84/85/88-90/93, 2000/02),
- John Scofield (1984-87/89/90/92/95/97/99, 2006), and
- Bjørn Kjellemyr (1974-).
Recordings and compositions
Concerts have been broadcast to the EBU, the first was Guttorm Guttormsen's quintet (1974), later Jan Gunnar Hoff Group (1996). The NRK transmit daily. The composition Break of day in Molde (1969) was composed by Johs. Bergh and Karin Krog, based on Carla Bley's Ida Lupino. Live recordings include
- Arild Steen, Molde jazz (Gyldendal, 1972)
- Terje Mosnes, Jazz i Molde two volumes (1981, 1991).
- Mindre jazz på Moldejazz, av Bjørn Stendahl i Ny Tid (2003)
- Bob har landet from bobdylan.nu
- Verdas Navle by Roald Helgheim in Dag og Tid (22.7.1999)
- Ibrahim Ferrer by nrk.nk (2003)
- Jazz i Molde I og II av Terje Mosnes (1990). Tilgjengelig online.
- Jazzarkiv for Moldejazz, online søkbar.
- musikerliste fra Moldejazz (1961-2006)