Molde International Jazz Festival (MIJF) (established 1961 in Molde) takes place annually in July, and is known as one of the oldest jazz festivals in Europe. It was initiated by the local Storyville Jazz Club. Since 1964 it has received government support, and the government Buddy Award was for several years awarded at this festival.
Celebrity jazz artists
Artist in residence
- 2000: Chick Corea
- 2001: Pat Metheny
- 2002: Paal Nilssen-Love
- 2003: Michael Brecker
- 2004: Håvard Wiik
- 2005: Arild Andersen
- 2006: Joshua Redman
- 2007: Terje Rypdal
- 2008: Marilyn Mazur
- 2009: Arve Henriksen
- 2010: Nils Petter Molvær
- 2011: Dave Holland
- 2012: Jon Balke
Frequently visiting artists
- Asmund Bjørken (1961/62,65-68/70/74/79/80/93),
- Jan Garbarek (1964-66/68/69/71/75-78/80/82/85/88/90/94),
- Karin Krog (1963/68/70/71/78//84/87/97, 2008),
- Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen (1964-68/70-74/81/84/85/88-90/93, 2000/02),
- John Scofield (1984-87/89/90/92/95/97/99, 2006), and
- Bjørn Kjellemyr (1974-).
Recordings and compositions
Concerts have been broadcast to the EBU, the first was Guttorm Guttormsen's quintet (1974), later Jan Gunnar Hoff Group (1996). The NRK transmit daily. The composition Break of day in Molde (1969) was composed by Johs. Bergh and Karin Krog, based on Carla Bley's Ida Lupino. Live recordings include
- Jazz i Molde I og II av Terje Mosnes (1990). Tilgjengelig online.
- Jazzarkiv for Moldejazz, online søkbar.
- musikerliste fra Moldejazz (1961-2006)
- August 1980 interview with Bill Evans, by Jan Stevens (9.8.1980), weeks before Evans' passing
- Mindre jazz på Moldejazz, av Bjørn Stendahl i Ny Tid (2003)
- Bob har landet from bobdylan.nu
- Verdas Navle by Roald Helgheim in Dag og Tid (22.7.1999)
- Ibrahim Ferrer by nrk.nk (2003)