From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mole rat or mole-rat refers to several groups of burrowing rodents:
- Bathyergidae, a family of about 20 species in six genera from Africa called blesmols, including:
- Heterocephalus glaber, the naked mole rat;
- Spalacidae, a family of about 30 species in six genera from Eurasia and northeast Africa, including:
- Tachyoryctes, a genus of about 15 species from Africa;
- Blind mole rats (Spalacinae), a subfamily of about 15 living species in the genus Spalax from southeastern Europe, southwestern Asia, and northeastern Africa;
- Zokors (Myospalacinae), occasionally called mole rats, about eight species from central and eastern Asia.
- In the family Muridae:
- Chelemys macronyx, in the family Cricetidae, from southernmost South America, also known as the mountain mole-rat.
|This article includes a list of related items that share the same name (or similar names).
If an internal link incorrectly led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.