Molecular Biology of the Cell (textbook)
|Molecular Biology of the Cell|
Authors Peter Walter, Julian Lewis, Alexander Johnson and Martin Raff (from left to right)
|Author||Bruce Alberts, Alexander Johnson, Julian Lewis, Martin Raff, Keith Roberts, Peter Walter|
|Pages||1392 pp (fifth edition)|
|ISBN||ISBN 978-0-8153-4105-5 (hardcover), ISBN 978-0-8153-4106-2 (softcover)|
|Dewey Decimal||571.6 22|
|LC Class||QH581.2 .M64 2008|
Molecular Biology of the Cell is a cellular and molecular biology textbook published by Garland Science and currently authored by Bruce Alberts, Alexander Johnson, Julian Lewis, Martin Raff, Keith Roberts and Peter Walter. The book was first published in 1983 and is now in its fifth edition. James Watson contributed to the first three editions.
Molecular Biology of the Cell is widely used in introductory courses at the university level, being considered as a reference in many libraries and laboratories around the world. It describes the current understanding of cell biology and includes basic biochemistry, experimental methods for investigating cells, the properties common to most eukaryotic cells, the expression and transmission of genetic information, the internal organization of cells, and the behaviour of cells in multicellular organisms. The latest fifth edition, published in 2007, has been updated to include recent advancements in the field of cell biology, including epigenetics, stem cells, RNAi, comparative genomics and the latest cancer therapies. Importantly, Molecular Biology of the Cell has been described as “the most influential cell biology textbook of its time”.
Table of contents
Part I - Introduction to the Cell
Part II - Basic Genetic Mechanisms
Part III - Methods
Part IV Internal Organization of the Cell
16. The Cytoskeleton
17. The Cell Cycle
Part V - Cells in their Social Context
20. Cancer Chapters
- Garland Science Website - http://www.garlandscience.com/textbooks/0815332181.asp
- Taylor and Francis Website - http://www.taylorandfrancis.co.uk/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=&isbn=9780815341116&parent_id=&pc=/shopping_cart/search/search.asp
- Friedberg, Errol C. (2004). The Writing Life of James D. Watson. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press.
- MBoC Journal Website - http://www.molbiolcell.org/content/21/22/3785.full
- Response to email inquiry on August 23, 2013