|Kinderdijk wind mills|
|Established||1 January 2013|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Dirk van der Borg (CDA)|
|• Total||126.47 km2 (48.83 sq mi)|
|• Land||118.29 km2 (45.67 sq mi)|
|• Water||8.18 km2 (3.16 sq mi)|
|Elevation||−1 m (−3 ft)|
|Population (August 2013)|
|• Density||246/km2 (640/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Molenwaard  is a municipality in the western Netherlands, in the southeastern part of the province of South Holland, and the northwestern part of the region of Alblasserwaard. It has been the result of a merger of the municipalities of Graafstroom, Liesveld, and Nieuw-Lekkerland on 1 January 2013. Molenwaard has about 29,000 inhabitants and an area of about 126 km2 (49 sq mi). Biggest places are Bleskensgraaf, Groot-Ammers, and Nieuw-Lekkerland.
The municipality of Molenwaard lies about 1.5 m below sea level. It is bordered by the Lek river in the north and the Noord river in the west (just a small part). On its area flows the Graafstroom or Alblas river.
Molenwaard can be characterized as a landscape of polders existing of vast pastures traversed by ditches and canals, like the Groote- of Achterwaterschap, and the Ammersche Boezem. In the outermost northwest one can find the famous windmills of Kinderdijk.
From a churchly point of view the municipality belongs to the so-called Bible Belt, with as outcome the dominating of the Christian parties in politics.
Molenwaard consists of the following settlements:
Dutch Topographic map of the municipality of Molenwaard, 2013.
The municipal council of Molenwaard consists of 21 seats, which are divided as follows:
|Municipal council seats|
|Reformed Political Party (SGP)||5|
|Christian Democratic Appeal (CDA)||5|
|Labour Party (PvdA)||3|
|People's Party for Freedom and Democracy (VVD)||2|
- "Gemeentelijke indeling op 1 januari 2013" [Municipal divisions on 1 January 2013]. cbs.nl (in Dutch). CBS. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "College Molenwaard" [Molenwaard board] (in Dutch). Gemeente Molenwaard. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- "Postcodetool for 2971VR". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 24 September 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- Molenwaard is derived from 'molen' (mill) and 'waard' (flat riverland). The flat municipality of Molenwaard consists of a lot of windmills.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Molenwaard.|
- (Dutch) Official website
||Nederlek / Lek
Ridderkerk / Noord
|Lek / Lopik (UT)|