|Elevation||620 ft (189 m)|
|Area||1.63 sq mi (4 km2)|
|- land||1.53 sq mi (4 km2)|
|- water||0.10 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||2,316.3 / sq mi (894 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Momence, Illinois|
Momence is a city in Kankakee County, Illinois, United States. The population was 3,171 at the 2000 census, and 3,063 in 2009. It is part of the Kankakee–Bradley Metropolitan Statistical Area and the Chicago–Naperville–Michigan City, IL-IN-WI Combined Statistical Area.
According to the 2010 census, the city has a total area of 1.63 square miles (4.2 km2), of which 1.53 square miles (4.0 km2) (or 93.87%) is land and 0.10 square miles (0.26 km2) (or 6.13%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,171 people, 1,159 households, and 784 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,316.3 people per square mile (893.7/km²). There were 1,223 housing units at an average density of 893.3 per square mile (344.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 89.18% White, 4.32% African American, 0.19% Native American, 0.09% Asian, 4.95% from other races, and 1.26% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 11.38% of the population.
There were 1,159 households out of which 32.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.3% were married couples living together, 11.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.3% were non-families. 27.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.59 and the average family size was 3.13.
In the city the population was spread out with 25.6% under the age of 18, 8.4% from 18 to 24, 27.3% from 25 to 44, 21.0% from 45 to 64, and 17.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 92.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $37,898, and the median income for a family was $45,379. Males had a median income of $31,741 versus $23,711 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,836. About 5.8% of families and 9.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.1% of those under age 18 and 6.4% of those age 65 or over.
- Jeremy Michael Boorda, U.S. Navy admiral
- Janet Hubert, actress. Appeared in the original Broadway cast of Cats played the mother in Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
- Ted Petersen, NFL lineman
- Malcolm Ross, United States Naval Reserve captain, atmospheric scientist, and a balloonist
- Downtown Momence served as a setting for scenes in the 2002 movie Road to Perdition (film).
- American Jazz musician Orbert Davis was raised in Momence.
- Jazz musician Eddie Condon was raised in Momence.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for Places – Illinois". United States Census. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Houde, Mary Jean; John Klasey (1968) Of the People, a Popular History of Kankakee County, General Printing Co, Chicago, p. 30.
- Hubert, Janet. "Janet Hubert Biography". IMDB. Retrieved April 5, 2013.