From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up monad in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Monad may refer to:
- Monad (philosophy) a term meaning "unit" used by philosophers to signify a variety of entities from a genus to God.
- Monism, the concept of "one essence" in the metaphysical and theological theory
- Monad (Gnosticism), the most primal aspect of God in Gnosticism
- Monadology, a book of philosophy by Gottfried Leibniz in which monads are a basic unit of perceptual reality
- Monadologia Physica by Immanuel Kant
- The Cup or Monad, a text in the Corpus Hermetica
Mathematics and computer science
- Monad (category theory), a construction in category theory
- Monad (functional programming), functional programming constructs that capture various notions of computation
- Monad (linear algebra), a 3-term complex
- Monad (non-standard analysis), describes the set of points infinitely close to a given point.
- Monad (music), a single note, in contradistinction to a dyad, triad, tetrad, etc.
- a term for simple unicellular organisms
Proper names and popular culture
- Windows PowerShell, a command line interface for Microsoft Windows code-named "Monad"
- Xmonad, a window manager for the X Window System
- John Monad, title character of the television series John from Cincinnati
- Monad Proxy, a character in the anime series Ergo Proxy
- In the novel The World Inside by Robert Silverberg, almost a hundred billion humans live in megastructure skyscrapers called monads
- In the videogame Xenoblade Chronicles by Monolith Soft, Monad/Monado is the name of the sword wielded the Bionis and some other characters (mainly Shulk). It allows the user to foresee future casualties, thus preventing them from happening.
- The Monad is the combination of the last two principles in man, the 6th and the 7th. Properly speaking, the term "individual monad" applies to the dual soul (Atmi-Buddhi), not to its highest spiritual vivifying principle.
- All pages beginning with "Monad", for titles starting "Monad" or "Monadic"
- All pages with titles containing "Monad"
- Monadic (disambiguation)
- Monas Hieroglyphica, or the "Hieroglyphic Monad", a symbol designed by John Dee
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.