|Monali Thakur (মোনালী ঠাকুর)|
Monali Thakur at the Kelvinator Stree Shakti Women Awards 2014
|Birth name||Monali Thakur|
|Born||3 November 1985|
|Genres||Filmi, Hindustani classical music|
Monali Thakur (born 3 November 1985 in Kolkata, India) is an Indian playback singer and actress.
Thakur comes from a musical family, her father Shakti Thakur , Bengali , renowned Bengali singer and her sister Mehuli Thakur is also a playback singer. She was trained in Hindustani classical music under Pandit Jagdish Prasad and Pandit Ajoy Chakraborty. She has learnt hip-hop and Bharatanatyam and is also a trained Salsa dancer.
Thakur got her start by singing in school and college competitions and performing at local functions, and received the Best Playback Singer award at the Anandalok Awards for the serial Sri Ramkrishna when she was 14. She rose to popularity after placing ninth in Indian Idol 2.
She had to struggle a lot hard even after Indian Idol to get a strong foothold in the music industry. Finally, she got an offer to sing for music director Pritam Chakraborty to sing two songs for the Bollywood film Race in 2008 – "Khwab Dekhe (Sexy lady)" and "Zara Zara Touch Me". She was originally scheduled for only one song, but her first recording impressed the film's directors Abbas – Mustan enough for them to book her a second. "Zara Zara Touch Me" was enormously successful, becoming the fourth-most-played song on Indian radio during the first half of 2008. She also got nominated for an IIFA Award for Best Female Playback and an Apsara Award for Best Female Playback Singer for the song "Zara Zara Touch Me".
She was a judge in the Bengali music reality show Bengali Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Li'l Champs for two years. She also appeared in the Bengali show Key Hobe Biggest Fan and was part of Coke Studio. She briefly dated Meiyang Chаng.
Monali won Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer for song 'Sawaar Loon' from the film 'Lootera' for year 2013 ( on 24 January 2014)
As a child, she appeared in a Bengali television soap, Aalokito ek Indu, in which she played the lead role Indubala. It was followed by a couple of telefilms, including Sudeshna Roy's Phagune Agun in which she was seen as Ruman. She made her acting debut in Raja Sen's Bengali film Krishnakanter Will, in which she played the role of Bhromor. In 2014, she made her Bollywood debut in Nagesh Kukunoor's Lakshmi. The film is about human trafficking and child prostitution and Thakur plays a 15-year-old girl who gets trapped in it. She will also be seen in Abbas Tyrewala's multistarrer Mango.
|"Kubool Kar Le"||2006||Jaan-E-Mann||Anu Malik|
|2007||Krishnakanter Will||Partha Sengupta|
|"Goodnight"||2008||Dil Kabaddi||Sachin Gupta|
|"Zara Zara Touch Me"||Race||Pritam|
|"Khwaab Dekhe (Sexy Lady)"|
|"It's Only Pyar"||2010||Dui Prithibi||Jeet Gannguli
|"O Yaara Ve"|
|"Bol Na Aar"|
|"Dilrubaon Ke Jalwe"||Dulha Mil Gaya||Lalit Pandit|
|"Ishq Mein"||Prince||Sandeep Shirodkar|
|"Jingle Jingle"||Badmaash Company||Pritam|
|"Anjaana Anjaani Ki Kahani"||Anjaana Anjaani||Vishal-Shekhar|
|"Naina"||2011||Kucch Luv Jaisaa||Pritam|
|"Aao Manaye Jashn"||Tum Hi To Ho||Anand-Milind|
|"Thik Thakish"||Jaani Dyakha Hawbe||Indradeep Dasgupta
|"Tu Mohabbat Hai"||2012||Tere Naal Love Ho Gaya||Sachin - Jigar|
|Mr. Bhatti on Chutti||Channi Singh|
|"Aga Bai"||Aiyyaa||Amit Trivedi|
|"Peepni"||Jo Hum Chahein||Sachin Gupta
|"Mumkin Nahi"||Qasam Se Qasam Se||Sayanthi – Shailendra|
|"Golemale Pirit Koro Na"||3 Kanya||Indradeep Dasgupta|
|"It's 100% Love"||100% Love||Jeet Gannguli
|"Inkaar (Theme)"||2013||Inkaar||Shantanu Moitra|
|"Darbadar"||I, Me Aur Main||Sachin – Jigar|
|"Oh Madhu"||Rangbaaz||Jeet Gannguli|
|"Nachlay Nachlay"||Hum Hai Raahi Car Ke||Sangeet Siddharth|
|"Hip Hop Pammi"||Ramaiya Vastavaiya||Sachin-Jigar
|"Sawar Loon"||Lootera||Amit Trivedi|
|"Ichhe Joto Uriye Debo"||Boss||Jeet Ganguly|
|"Muh Meetha Kara De"||Rabba Main Kya Karoon||Salim-Sulaiman|
|"I Don't Luv U"||I Don't Luv U||Aman Benson
|"Raghupati Raghav"||Krrish 3||Rajesh Roshan|
|"Yaro Yaro"||Madha Yaanai Koottam||N. R. Raghunanthan|
|"Tune Maari Entriyaan (Bangla Version)"||2014||Gunday||Sohail Sen|
|"Love Me Thoda"||Yaariyan||Pritam|
|"He Naropishach"||2014||Arundhati||Jeet Ganguly
Saluri Koteshwara Rao
|"Ei Bhalo Ei Kharap"||2014||Golpo Holeo Shotti||Indradeep Dasgupta|
|2007||Krishnakanter Will||Bhalerao||Bengali film|
- Pavithran, Eva. "Oomph In Her Voice", Verve magazine, Volume 16, Issue 5, May, 2008.
- "Monali Thakur out of Idol race!", Telly Chakkar, 7 February 2006.
- Mohua Das (4 January 2007). "The Telegraph – Calcutta : Metro". Telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "Singing is like acting: Monali Thakur – Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 12 July 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- Shruti, I.L. "Katrina liked my voice", The Deccan Herald, 26 August 2008.
- "And the most popular songs playing on radio are...; AirCheck India takes stock", exchange4media News Service, 5 July 2008
- "Pep & Fizz". Indian Express. 3 September 2010. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "Monali Thakur". Coke Studio India. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- We are very happy together, says Meiyang Chang
- Monali Thakur has been my anchor & support: Chang
- AMRITA ROYCHOUDHURY, TNN (14 December 2007). "'I was sidelined in Krishnakanter Will' – Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "Singer Monali Thakur in Nagesh Kukunoor's next". Indian Express. 4 April 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- Reshmi Sengupta (2 December 2007). "The Telegraph – Calcutta : Entertainment". Telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "Working with Nagesh Sir was like going back to school: Monali Thakur – Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 26 April 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "Actress needs to live a disciplined life: Monali Thakur – Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 11 June 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "Swaar Loon singer Monali Thakur set for acting debut with Mango". Indian Express. 1 July 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- Monali Thakur at the Internet Movie Database
- Official website
- Monali Thakur on Twitter
- Monali Thakur on Facebook