Monfort Heights, Ohio
|Monfort Heights, Ohio|
Location in Hamilton County and the state of Ohio.
|• Total||5.9 sq mi (15.3 km2)|
|• Land||5.9 sq mi (15.3 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||930 ft (280 m)|
|• Density||2,000/sq mi (780/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1065476|
Monfort Heights is a census-designated place (CDP) in Green Township, Hamilton County, Ohio, United States, part of the Cincinnati–Northern Kentucky metropolitan area. The population of Monfort Heights was 11,948 at the 2010 census. In previous censuses, the area was listed as two separate CDPs, Monfort Heights East and Monfort Heights South.
Monfort Heights is located at  9 miles (14 km) northwest of downtown Cincinnati. The community "runs along North Bend Road with its heart at the intersection of West Fork and North Bend Roads." Just south of this intersection is Exit 14 of Interstate 74 which runs east-west through the CDP.,
The community was earlier known as "Wisenburg" or "Wisenburgh" A post office named "Montfort" was established on March 17, 1900, with Frank Lumler as its first postmaster. The office was named in honor of Civil War Captain E.R. Monfort, who was then the postmaster of Cincinnati. The office was discontinued on September 14, 1905. The name almost disappeared until the late 1920s when a name was needed for a new school district after the consolidation of three area districts and the name "Monfort Heights" was selected.
A 1944 study cited a population of 250 for Monfort Heights in 1920.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Monfort Heights CDP, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 14, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Lueders, pg. 122
- Lueders, pg. 107
- "Monfort Post Office (historical)". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey.
- Lueders, pg. 78
- "History of Green Township". Green Township. Retrieved 30 October 2010.
- Miller, Zane L. (2000) [first published 1968]. Boss Cox's Cincinnati: Urban Politics in the Progressive Era (revised ed.). Ohio State University Press. p. 27. ISBN 0-8142-0861-4. Retrieved 30 October 2010.
- Lueders, Jeffrey R. (October 9, 2006). Hamilton County's Green Township. Images of America. Charleston, South Carolina: Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 0-7385-4117-6. OCLC 75274706. Retrieved 30 October 2010.