|Born||Diane Monique Lhuillier
September 15, 1971
Cebu City, Cebu, Philippines
|Known for||Fashion designer|
Monique Lhuillier (born September 15, 1971, Cebu City, Philippines) is a fashion designer most prominently known for bridal wear. She owns a couture fashion house based in Los Angeles, California, as well as another store on Manhattan's Upper East Side.
Lhuillier was born to Michel J. Lhuillier, a Vietnam-born Filipino businessman of mixed French descent, and Amparito Llamas, a Filipino society figure and former model of some Spanish descent. She grew up in Cebu City and studied at Saint Theresa's College, continuing on to the Chateau Mont-Choisi finishing school in Switzerland. She moved to Los Angeles to study design at the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising (FIDM). In Los Angeles, she met Tom Bugbee, whom she married in 1996.
While searching for a gown for her wedding, she was surprised by the lack of fashion-infused bridal options, and started her first bridal collection in 1996. Her husband Tom joined the company as CEO. She opened her first retail store in 2001. In 2004 she drew wide notice for her wedding dresses for Britney Spears and Emmy Awards dresses for Jamie-Lynn DiScala and Allison Janney, among others. She opened a Los Angeles "flagship" store on Melrose Place in 2007, and added a New York store in 2012. Her collections now include ready-to-wear, evening gowns, bridal, bridesmaids, linens, tableware, fine paper, and home fragrances.
Lhuillier has become especially known for her celebrity wedding and red carpet gowns. Her list of clientele includes Gwyneth Paltrow, Reese Witherspoon, Kristen Stewart, Hilary Swank, Jennifer Lopez, Taylor Swift, and Katy Perry.
Awards and honors
Monique Lhuillier was invited to be a member of the Council of Fashion Designers of America in 2003. She received the Presidential Medal of Merit from the Philippine president Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo in 2006.
- Booth Moore, "On the A-list: Monique Lhuillier's ageless creations have drawn a celebrity following. Her fans include Britney Spears, who said 'I do' in one of the designer's dresses." Los Angeles Times, February 11, 2005.
- Alexandra Jacobs, "Branching Out From the Altar", The New York Times, February 27, 2013.
- Coe, Julie (19 December 2012). "Monique Lhuillier's Glittering New Upper East Side Flagship". Architectural Digest.
- Zach Johnson (2012-01-15). "Sarah Michelle Gellar's Daughter Chose Her Golden Globes Gown". Us Weekly. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- Regis Newman, Jenara. "20 things you might not know about: Michel Lhuiller". Sun.Star Cebu. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- "Monique Lhullier: World-renowned wedding gown designer is a Cebuana", The Filipino Express, October 16, 2005 – via HighBeam Research (subscription required).
- "Lhuillier, Monique", Newsmakers 2007 Cumulation (January 1, 2008) – via HighBeam Research (subscription required).
- Allison Samuels, "Red Carpet Style; Monique Lhuillier's A-List Clients Have Made Her Young Hollywood's Hottest Designer-Just Ask Britney", Newsweek, January 24, 2005 – via HighBeam Research (subscription required).
- Rose Apodaca Jones, "Lhuiller's Moment: From Britney to the Emmys", WWD, September 23, 2004 – via HighBeam Research (subscription required).
- Elizabeth Khuri, "Beyond Bridal", Los Angeles Times, October 7, 2007.
- Joanna Nikas, "Scouting Report", The New York Times, October 17, 2012.
- Booth Moore, "Monique Lhuillier: On the move. Fashion designer Monique Lhuillier works to add clothes to her line for earlier in the day." Los Angeles Times, September 01, 2013.
- Taylor, Felicia (May 10, 2012). "The designer making Rihanna, Scarlett and Gwyneth look good". CNN.
- "Look of the Day: Hillary Swank". InStyle. October 27, 2009.
- Clements, Erin (April 15, 2010). "Red Carpet Buzz: Jennifer Lopez --The back-up plan star stuns in Monique Lhuillier". Elle Magazine.
- "Taylor Swift's 22 best dresses". Instyle magazine. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "Katy Perry in Monique Lhuillier". Elle magazine. April 22, 2013.
- "The World of ML > Life > Monique Lhuillier". Monique Lhuillier.
- "Updated Profile".
- Aurea Calica, "GMA awards medal of merit to Hollywood designer Lhuillier", The Philippine Star, November 9, 2006.