10 May 1971
|Alma mater||University of Vienna
London School of Economics
|Known for||Team principal and 33% stake owner in Sauber Formula One Team|
Monisha Kaltenborn (born Monisha Narang, May 10, 1971) is the current team principal of the Sauber Formula One team and holds a 33.3% stake in the outfit. She has also been the team's Chief Executive Officer from January 2010. She is the first female team principal in Formula One.
Kaltenborn was born in Dehradun, India. Her family emigrated to Vienna when she was a child, and she took Austrian citizenship. From 1990 to 1995 she studied for a Law degree at the University of Vienna, and then completed a masters' degree in International Business Law at the London School of Economics in 1996. Whilst still a student in Vienna, she worked for the United Nations Industrial Development Organization and the UN Commission for International Trade Law, and on completion of her studies she worked for various legal firms: first in Stuttgart with Gleiss Lutz; then back in Vienna with Wolf & Theis; and finally for the Fritz Kaiser Group in 1998–1999.
At this stage, Kaiser was a co-owner of the Sauber Formula One team (along with founder and team principal, Peter Sauber and Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz), and Kaltenborn was employed to take charge of the team's corporate and legal affairs. By 2000, Kaiser had sold his shares but Kaltenborn remained with the team as the head of its legal department. From 2001, she has been a member of its Management Board, and in early 2010, following the team's return to independent status following the withdrawal of former partner BMW, she was appointed CEO of Sauber Motorsport AG. She is also involved in the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile's Commission for Women and Motorsport, under Michèle Mouton. On May 16, 2012, Peter Sauber transferred a third of the Sauber team to Kaltenborn, making her a part-owner. In October, he retired from front-line management of the team, handing her the role of team principal.
In her first job in Stuttgart, Monisha met Jens Kaltenborn and later married him in Dehradun. They have two children and live in Küsnacht, which is close to the Sauber factory in Hinwil, Switzerland.
- Devadyuti Das (6 October 2011). "Breaking new ground in Formula One". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Monisha Kaltenborn". Sauber F1 Team. Retrieved 30 October 2011.
- "Sauber hands third of team to Kaltenborn". The F1 Times. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- Noble, Jonathan (2012-10-11). "Monisha Kaltenborn becomes new Sauber F1 team principal". autosport.com (Haymarket Publications). Retrieved 2012-10-11.
- Das, Devadyuti (2012-10-11). "India-born Monisha first woman to head F1 team". timesofindia.indiatimes.com (The Times of India). Retrieved 2012-10-12.
- Meenaghan, Gary (27 October 2011). "Kaltenborn's rise to being the first lady of Formula One". TheNational. Retrieved 30 October 2011.
- "Monisha Kaltenborn". fia.com. Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Monisha Kaltenborn". sauberf1team.com. Sauber F1 Team. Retrieved 2011-10-10.