Monkee Business (album)
|Compilation album by The Monkees|
|The Monkees chronology|
Monkee Business was a 1982 singles and rarities compilation album of songs by the Monkees, issued by Rhino Records. It was a picture disc reissue of an earlier limited-issue collection, and Monkee Business was available in both LP and cassette formats. Several of the tracks were taken from Monkeemania!, an Australian compilation that featured previously-unreleased recordings.
The album is the first American Monkees rarities collection. It was also the LP debut of several tracks which had only been released as singles, including "Goin' Down," "D.W. Washburn," "It's Nice to Be With You," and "Someday Man." As a picture disc, the playback quality of the record was inferior to what was available in the early 1980s.
The album was reissued in 1986, with this second pressing containing "Someday Man" with studio chatter at the beginning which wasn't heard on the 1982 edition. Additionally, the entire album was remastered, so the overall fidelity was improved. Copies from 1986 can be identified by "RE-1" in the runoff groove.
The album went out of print as Rhino shifted from vinyl releases to compact discs. Each of the tracks have since been reissued (carefully digitally remastered) on CD, as part of the Missing Links set of collections, or as bonus tracks on concurrent Monkees albums.
- "Porpoise Song" (single version) (Carole King, Gerry Goffin)
- "Star Collector" (alternate version) (King, Goffin)
- "It's Nice to Be With You" (Jerry Goldstein)
- "D.W. Washburn" (Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller)
- "Steam Engine" (alternate version) (Chip Douglas)
- "Tema Dei Monkees" (Boyce & Hart)
- "Pleasant Valley Sunday" (single mix) (King, Goffin)
- "What Am I Doing Hangin' Round" (Michael Murphey)
- "She Hangs Out" (original single version) (Jeff Barry)
- "Love to Love" (Neil Diamond)
- "Someday Man" (Roger Nichols, Paul Williams)
- "Goin' Down" (Diane Hildebrand, Peter Tork, Michael Nesmith, Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones)