Monkee Business (album)
|Compilation album by The Monkees|
|The Monkees chronology|
Monkee Business was a 1982 singles and rarities compilation album of songs by the Monkees, issued by Rhino Records. It was a picture disc reissue of an earlier limited-issue collection, and Monkee Business was available in both LP and cassette formats. Several of the tracks were taken from Monkeemania!, an Australian compilation that featured previously-unreleased recordings.
The album is the first American Monkees rarities collection. It was also the LP debut of several tracks which had only been released as singles, including "Goin' Down," "D.W. Washburn," "It's Nice to Be With You," and "Someday Man." As a picture disc, the playback quality of the record was inferior to what was available in the early 1980s.
The album was reissued in 1986, with this second pressing containing "Someday Man" with studio chatter at the beginning which wasn't heard on the 1982 edition. Additionally, the entire album was remastered, so the overall fidelity was improved. Copies from 1986 can be identified by "RE-1" in the runoff groove.
The album went out of print as Rhino shifted from vinyl releases to compact discs. Each of the tracks have since been reissued (carefully digitally remastered) on CD, as part of the Missing Links set of collections, or as bonus tracks on concurrent Monkees albums.
- "Porpoise Song" [1969 Mono Single Master] (Carole King, Gerry Goffin) - 4:04
- "Star Collector" ([Reversed Channels] (King, Goffin) - 3:30
- "It's Nice to Be With You" [1968 Mono Single Master]] (Jerry Goldstein) - 2:47
- "D.W. Washburn" (Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller) - 2:47
- "Steam Engine" [1969 Mono + TV Soundtrack Mix] (Chip Douglas) - 2:21
- "Tema Dei Monkees" [1967 Mono Mix + Italian Single Edit] (Boyce & Hart) - 2:16
- "Pleasant Valley Sunday" [Mono Single Mix] (King, Goffin) - 3:12
- "What Am I Doing Hangin' Round" [Reversed Channels] (Owens Castleman, Michael Murphey) - 3:02
- "She Hangs Out" [Single Version + 1967 Momo Single Master] (Jeff Barry) - 2:33
- "Love to Love" [1969 Mono Mix] (Neil Diamond) - 2:35
- "Someday Man" (Roger Nichols, Paul Williams) - 2:38
- "Goin' Down" [Alternate Mono Mix] (Diane Hildebrand, Peter Tork, Michael Nesmith, Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones) - 4:27