|Initial release||September 2, 2009|
|Stable release||3.2 / April 7, 2014|
|Platform||iOS, Mac OS, PlayStation Mobile, Android, Linux, BSD, Ouya, Windows Phone 8, Windows Store, Windows Desktop|
|License||Microsoft Public License|
MonoGame is free software used by game developers to make their Windows and Windows Phone games run on other systems. It currently supports Mac OS, Linux, iOS, Android, PlayStation Mobile, and the OUYA console. It implements the Microsoft XNA 4 Application programming interface. It has been used for several bestselling games, including Bastion and Fez.
MonoGame is the evolution of XNA Touch (September 2009) started by Jose Antonio Farias and Silver Sprite by Bill Reiss. The first official release of MonoGame was version 2.0 with a downloadable version 0.7 that was available from CodePlex. These early versions only supported 2D sprite based games. The last official 2D only version was released as 2.5.1 in June 2012.
Recently[when?] the framework has begun to be extended beyond XNA4 with the addition of new features like RenderTarget3D, support for multiple GameWindows, and a new cross-platform command line content building tool.
MonoGame attempts to fully implement the XNA 4 API. It accomplishes this across Microsoft platforms using SharpDX and DirectX. When targeting non-Microsoft platforms, platform specific capabilities are utilized by way of the OpenTK library. When targeting OS X, iOS, and/or Android, the Xamarin platform runtime is necessary. This runtime provides a tuned OpenTK implementation that allows the MonoGame team to focus on the core graphics tuning of the platform.
The graphics capabilities of MonoGame come from either OpenGL, OpenGL ES, or DirectX. Since MonoGame version 3, OpenGL 2 has been the focus for capabilities. The earlier releases of MonoGame (2.5) used OpenGL 1.x for graphics rendering. Utilizing OpenGL 2 allowed for MonoGame to support shaders to make more advanced rendering capabilities in the platform.
Content management and distribution continues to follow the XNA 4 ContentManager model. The MonoGame team has created a new content building capability that can integrate with Microsoft Visual Studio to deliver the same content building capabilities to Windows 8 Desktop that Windows 7 users had used in Microsoft XNA.
While there is no exhaustive list of games that use MonoGame, the following table is a list of noteworthy games using MonoGame to reach multiple platforms.
|ARMED!||2011||Windows Store, Windows Phone, iOS||Sickhead Games||Sickhead Games|
|Bastion||2011||Windows, OS X, Xbox 360, Chrome, iOS, Linux||Supergiant Games||Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment|
|Draw a Stickman: Epic||2012||Windows Store, iOS, Android||Hitcents.com||Hitcents.com|
|Escape Goat||2011||Windows, OS X, Linux, Xbox 360||MagicalTimeBean||MagicalTimeBean|
|Fez||2013||Xbox 360, Windows, OS X, Linux||Polytron Corporation||Trapdoor, Microsoft Studios|
|Infinite Flight||2011||iOS, Windows Phone, Android||Flying Development Studio||Flying Development Studio|
|Mercenary Kings||2013||Windows, OS X, PlayStation 4||Tribute Games||Tribute Games|
|Skulls of the Shogun||2013||Windows Store, Windows Phone, Xbox 360||17-BIT||Microsoft Studios|
|Tiny Dice Dungeon||2014||Android, iOS||Springloaded||Kongregate|
|TowerFall||2013||OUYA, Windows, PlayStation 4||Matt Thorson||Matt Thorson|
|Transistor||2014||Windows, Playstation 4||Supergiant Games||Supergiant Games|
|Wizorb||2011||iOS, Windows, OS X, Linux, Xbox 360, PS Minis||Tribute Games||Tribute Games|
- "FAQ: Licensing – MonoGame". Retrieved 2009-09-02.
- "Windows 8, XNA and MonoGame". MSDN. 2012-08-01. "MonoGame is an Open Source implementation of the Microsoft XNA 4 Framework. The goal is to allow XNA developers on Windows & Windows Phone to port their games to the iOS, Android, Mac OS X, Linux with both PlayStation Suite and Windows 8 support currently under development."
- RenderTarget3D for DirectX by tomspilman · Pull Request #1549 · mono/MonoGame · GitHub
- Multiple GameWindow support for Windows/DirectX by jamesford42 · Pull Request #1465 · mono/MonoGame · GitHub
- MonoGame Content Builder · mono/MonoGame Wiki · GitHub
- Windows 8 App Projects - XAML and C# Edition - Nico Vermeir - Google Boeken
- Monogame at Build 2012 | Channel 9 Live at BUILD 2012 | Channel 9
- Supergiant Games | Bastion’s Open Source Branch for MonoGame
- Draw a Stickman: EPIC, a MonoGame Adventure - Hitcents Blog
- Twitter / Euden: @renaudbedard I'd like to ask:
- MonoGame and Xamarin make shipping Infinite Flight a reality on the Hanselminutes Technology Podcast: Fresh Air for Developers
- Skulls of the Shogun – Developer Interview | WMPoweruser
- Wizorb coming to Mac and Linux December 19th! | Tribute Games