Monok

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Monok
Lajos Kossuth's birthplace
Lajos Kossuth's birthplace
Coat of arms of Monok
Coat of arms
Monok is located in Hungary
Monok
Monok
Location of Monok in Hungary
Coordinates: 48°12′37″N 21°08′52″E / 48.2102°N 21.1477°E / 48.2102; 21.1477
Country Hungary
Region Northern Hungary
County Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén
Subregion Szerencs
Rank Village
KSH code 07825[1]
Government
 • Mayor Demeterné Bártfay Emese
Area[1]
 • Total 41.98 km2 (16.21 sq mi)
Population (2009)[1]
 • Total 1,606
 • Density 38/km2 (99/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 3905
Area code +36 47
Website www.monok.hu

Monok is a village in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén, Hungary and is part of the Tokaj wine region.

Geography[edit]

The nearest town is Szerencs 12 km (7 mi) away. Neighbouring villages are Golop 5 km (3 mi) away, Legyesbénye 7 km (4 mi) away and Tállya 7 km (4 mi) away.

The Zemplén Mountains have two sides: on the north Vilvitány Hill, on the south Szerencs Hill. The village lies in the valley between the two.

Although the north is mountainous the south is lower lying at around 300 metres (1,000 ft). On the north and south slopes there are fields and vineyards whose wines compete with those from Tokaj, and the fields bordering the vineyards offer a beautiful view of the Tatra Mountains.

History[edit]

It is not certain when the village was established, but it was some time during the Mongol invasion of Europe, or the earlier Hungarian invasion (Hungarian: honfoglalás).

The first record of the village is in 1392 and the Monaky family owned it in the 13th century [sic]. The name of the village comes from Slavic monoh meaning "monk". During the Ottoman Empire the village was razed and in 1567 it was recorded as being just barren fields. Towards the end of this century the village was reinhabited and around 1570 a small castle was built in the Renaissance style. Later, the village was owned by the Andrássy family who renovated the castle, but because it was too small they built another nearby in the Classical style.

Ethnicity[edit]

93% of the population is Hungarian, with the remaining 7% being of Romany origin.[2]

Traditions[edit]

  • Monok holds a summer fair on the second Sunday of every September called Kálvária fair, to which people from far and wide make a pilgrimage.
  • Each August the renovated Monaky Castle holds a "Renaissance Castle Day", when people wear period dress and perform archery and stage marionette shows. There is also a market and a beer tent, which also serves cauldrons of goulash and soft drinks.

Landmarks[edit]

Andrássy Castle

Famous people[edit]

  • Lajos Kossuth, leader of Hungary, was born in Monok on 19 September 1802
  • Miklós Németh, Hungarian Prime Minister, was born in Monok on 24 January 1948

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b c Monok at the Hungarian Central Statistical Office (Hungarian). 1 January 2008.
  2. ^ Hungarian Census: Ethnicity numbers for settlements (in Hungarian, some English available), Hungarian Central Statistical Office, 2001, retrieved 26 October 2009 
  3. ^ "Monok Cross of Saints Fairground". www.bucsujaras.hu. Retrieved 26 October 2009. 

External links[edit]