Monroe Township, Allen County, Ohio
|Monroe Township, Ohio|
Location of Monroe Township, Allen County, Ohio
|• Total||36.2 sq mi (93.7 km2)|
|• Land||36.1 sq mi (93.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||801 ft (244 m)|
|• Density||62/sq mi (23.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085696|
Monroe Township is one of the twelve townships of Allen County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 2,226 people in the township, 1,702 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Pleasant Township, Putnam County - north
- Richland Township - east
- Jackson Township - southeast corner
- Bath Township - south
- Sugar Creek Township - southwest
- Sugar Creek Township, Putnam County - northwest
The village of Cairo is located in southwestern Monroe Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Monroe township, Allen County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 5, 2013.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.