Monroe Township, Darke County, Ohio
|Monroe Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Darke County.
|• Total||25.7 sq mi (66.6 km2)|
|• Land||25.7 sq mi (66.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,037 ft (316 m)|
|• Density||65.1/sq mi (25.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086019|
Monroe Township is one of the twenty townships of Darke County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,674 people in the township, 1,282 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southeastern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Franklin Township - north
- Newton Township, Miami County - northeast
- Union Township, Miami County - east
- Clay Township, Montgomery County - southeast
- Harrison Township, Preble County - southwest
- Twin Township - west
- Van Buren Township - northwest corner
The village of Pitsburg is located in northwestern Monroe Township.
Name and history
Monroe Township was established in 1836 from land given by Twin Township.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. The current trustees are Rick Oswalt, Kevin McKibben, and Scott Sease, and the clerk is Dawn Oswalt.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Darke County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- The History of Darke County, Ohio. W. H. Beers & Company. 1880. p. 455.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Township Trustees. Darke County. Accessed 2007-06-01.