Monroe Township, Henry County, Ohio
|Monroe Township, Ohio|
Location of Monroe Township in Henry County
|• Total||36.6 sq mi (94.7 km2)|
|• Land||36.6 sq mi (94.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||686 ft (209 m)|
|• Density||32.2/sq mi (12.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086293|
Monroe Township is one of the thirteen townships of Henry County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,177 people in the township, 892 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Harrison Township - north
- Damascus Township - northeast corner
- Richfield Township - east
- Bartlow Township - southeast corner
- Marion Township - south
- Pleasant Township - southwest corner
- Napoleon Township - west
- Flatrock Township - northwest corner
Monroe Township is one of only two townships in the county without a border on another county.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Henry County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.