Monroe Township, Logan County, Ohio
|Monroe Township, Logan County, Ohio|
Mac-O-Chee Castle, a historic site in the township
Location of Monroe Township in Ohio
Municipalities and townships of Logan County
|• Total||31.2 sq mi (80.8 km2)|
|• Land||31.2 sq mi (80.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,371 ft (418 m)|
|• Density||48.2/sq mi (18.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086489|
Located in the southeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Jefferson Township - north
- Perry Township - northeast corner
- Zane Township - east
- Wayne Township, Champaign County - southeast
- Salem Township, Champaign County - south
- Liberty Township - west
Parts of the villages of West Liberty and Valley Hi are located in southwestern and northern Monroe Township respectively, and the unincorporated community of Pickrelltown lies in the township's north.
Name and history
Monroe Township was formed in 1822.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Logan County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 12 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 320. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Examiner Staff, The. "Township Trustees: Township trustee results", Bellefontaine Examiner, 2007-11-07, p. 2.
- Examiner Staff, The. "Township Trustees: Township fiscal officer", Bellefontaine Examiner, 2007-11-07, p. 2.