Monroe Township, Richland County, Ohio
|Monroe Township, Ohio|
|• Total||37.1 sq mi (96.1 km2)|
|• Land||36.4 sq mi (94.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.7 sq mi (1.8 km2)|
|Elevation||1,010 ft (308 m)|
|• Density||73.0/sq mi (28.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086881|
Monroe Township is one of the eighteen townships of Richland County, Ohio, United States. It is a part of the Mansfield Metropolitan Statistical Area. The 2000 census found 2,656 people in the township, 2,036 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Mifflin Township - north, west of Mifflin Township, Ashland County
- Mifflin Township, Ashland County - north, east of Mifflin Township, Richland County
- Vermillion Township, Ashland County - northeast corner
- Green Township, Ashland County - east
- Hanover Township, Ashland County - southeast corner
- Butler Township - south
- Jefferson Township - southwest corner
- Washington Township - west
- Madison Township - northwest corner
Part of the village of Lucas is located in northwestern Monroe Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Richland County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.