Monsignor McClancy Memorial High School
|Monsignor McClancy Memorial High School|
|31st Avenue entrance|
|71-06 31st Avenue
New York (East Elmhurst, Queens), New York, 11370
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic;
Brothers of the Sacred Heart
|Asst. Principal||Vincenzo Insingo|
|Enrollment||approx. 510 (2014)|
|Color(s)||Crimson and White|
|Slogan||The school that makes a difference.|
|Rivals||St. Joseph High School (NJ)|
|Accreditation||Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Admissions Director||Nicholas Melilto|
|Athletic Director||Gerard O'Riordan|
Monsignor McClancy Memorial High School is a co-educational Catholic high school located in the East Elmhurst neighborhood of Queens, New York. As of Fall 2012, the school started accepting young women. Founded by the Brothers of the Sacred Heart in 1956, Msgr. McClancy Memorial High School serves the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn and provides education for approximately 550 students from grades 9 to 12. Admissions is open to any student of any ethnicity and of any faith, but requires TACHS (Test for Admission into Catholic High Schools) scores from students entering from the 8th grade, students on other levels contact the school directly. The school was first founded in 1956, dedicated to the memory of Msgr. Joseph V. McClancy, a long time diocesan Superintendent of Schools for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn. The school is chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York and accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
The McClancy athletics program includes:
- Basketball- Boys & girls
- Baseball- Boys
- Softball- Girls
- Tennis- Boys & girls
- Volleyball- Girls
- Soccer- Boys & girls
- Track and Field- Boys & girls
- Bowling- Boys
- Swimming and Diving- Boys & girls
- Handball- Boys
- Cheerleading- Girls
- Golf - Boys
- Hockey- Boys (Program Ended 2012)
At the beginning of the 2014-2015 school year, the school announced that Varsity Basketball coach, Mr. Donald Kent, was resigning from his position as head coach due to health reasons.
The school has recently undergone an extensive renovation project which included soundproofing and air conditioning for each classroom. The school has also fully renovated the biology, chemistry, and physics labs over the summer of 2011. Over the summer of 2012, the school created a new media center, and a new art studio.
- Chris Megaloudis, former soccer player for the New York Red Bulls.
- Don Cooper, current pitching coach for the Chicago White Sox. He played for the New York Yankees (1985).
- George Bruns (basketball), he played for the New York Nets (1972–73).
- Walter McCaffrey, American politician
- Michael DenDekker, American politician
- Jamal Robinson, Former NBA player, played for Miami Heat in 2000
- Tom Nohilly, retired track athlete
- John Kenrick, theatre writer
- Eddie Buczynski, American Wicca and gay rights activist
Notes and references