Monster Force was a 13-episode animated television series created in 1994 by Universal Cartoon Studios and Canadian studio Lacewood Productions. The story is set in approx. 2020 and centers on a group of teenagers who, with help of high tech weaponry, fight off against classic Universal Monsters and spiritual beings threatening humanity. Some of the crew have personal vendettas (e.g., one has the "curse of the Wolfman" that has been handed down through generations and another had a family member taken away from her by Dracula), while others fight for Mankind out of a sense of altruism. Universal Studios Home Entertainment released the first seven episodes to DVD on September 15, 2009.
In the distant future, six college students and their professor have formed the Monster Force. A squad dedicated to keeping the world safe from the likes of Dracula, The Mummy and an evil legion of criminals known as the creatures of the night.
- "Sign of the Dragon"
- "Stalking the Beast"
- "Immortality of Evil"
- "Return of the Creature from the Black Lagoon"
- "Dark Deception"
- "He Walks Again"
- "Dark City"
- "Prisoner of Kaliaga"
- "The Rage of Frankenstein's Bride"
- "The Return of te Mummy"
- "In Pursuit of the Wolf"
- "Caged Fury"
- "Operation Morning Light"
The "good guys" bear the name of "Monster Force" and is led by Dr. Reed Crawley. Creatures of the Night (de facto led by Dracula, the greatest vampire in history) represent the "bad guys".
- Dr. Reed Crawley alias Doc is a young yet brilliant scientist who is also the main tactician and strategist of the team. He has once been Dracula's captive and since then vowed to end his reign of terror. Apparently, he is the inventor of the entire cutting-edge weaponry and equipment used by Monster Force. One of his most brilliant inventions is the EMACS (Energized Monster Armed Containment Suit) or simply power suit, which allows normal humans to fight super-human dark powers at the same level. Crawley is voiced by Lawrence Bayne.
- Luke Talbot alias the Wolfman is the only werewolf in the team and the only one (apart from Frankenstein) who doesn't utilize high tech devices invented by Doc. He is actually a good-natured young man affected by lycanthropy, which has been the curse of his family for generations. During the full moon, when he cannot control the curse, his teammates have to restrain him but otherwise his Wolfman form makes him nearly invincible in a monster-to-monster fight. He's apparently descended from Lawrence Talbot, the original wolfman. Luke is voiced by Paul Haddad.
- Tripp Hansen alias the Martial Artist is a man of action and a self-confident optimist who enjoys fighting itself. A martial arts specialist, when aided by his power suit he becomes even more powerful and deadly. He also possesses a special technique called Storm Strike. His motto: "One monster at a time!" Tripp is voiced by Philip Akin.
- Lance McGruder alias Powerhouse Marksman is the long-range weapon specialist of the team since his power suit contains the greatest amount of firepower and is capable of shoots beams of cold, heat, electricity, as well as other elements. In the normal life, he is a modest, rather shy but always good-spirited and curious young man. Lance is voiced by David Hewlett.
- Shelley Frank alias the Psychic is the infiltration and intelligence specialist of the team. She is the only female member of Monster Force, as well as the only one whose power suit enables her to fly above the ground. However, she had to sacrifice most of her power suit's firepower for this ability. She is also capable of limited telepathy. Apparently, one of her family members has been killed by Dracula. Her name is a play off Mary Shelley, who wrote the novel about Frankenstein's monster. Shelley is voiced by Caroly Larson.
- Frankenstein alias the Monster is the same monster that was created by Victor Frankenstein in the novel under the same name. However, in the series he is with the "good guys" and is the member of Monster Force. He possesses incredible strength (can lift and throw ten times his own weight) and endurance as well as extremely resilient skin. Moreover, once killed, he can be resurrected if approx. 20 kV is applied to his body. Frankenstein has some familial ties to Shelley Frank. Frankenstein is voiced by Howard Jerome.
Creatures of the Night
- Dracula alias Prince of Darkness is the arch-villain of the series and the archenemy of Monster Force team and, personally, Dr. Crawley. He is a vampire and a Master of Evil but seems polite, charming and noble. His abilities include metamorphosis, hypnotic powers, illusion and summoning spells, as well as great tactical and strategic capabilities match Reed Crawley's talents. Dracula is voiced by Robert Bockstael.
- Creature from the Black Lagoon alias simply the Creature is a mysterious amphibian being that has destroyed entire villages throughout the decades. It can survive both above and below the water, possesses immense physical strength and a special ability of a supersonic shrill sound that shatters objects. It appears and disappears ominously.
- Im-Ho-Tep alias the Mummy is based upon the classic Universal Monster played by Boris Karloff. Im-Ho-Tep was a priest in the ancient Egypt who loved Princess Ananka and, when she died, tried to resurrect her. For his transgressions, he has been cursed and entombed for thousands of years and but modern archaeologists accidentally revived him. As an undead sorcerer, he possesses many powers like super strength and limited invulnerability (not against energy attacks), commands sandstorm and can turn into a dust devil. Moreover, he is able to cast a super cold breath that instantly freezes objects and people. Im-Ho-Tep is voiced by Robert Bockstael.
- Niles Lupon alias Bela the Werewolf is a seemingly harmless older man who inflicted the curse of lycanthropy upon the Talbot family starting with Lawrence Talbot (Luke Talbot's grandfather). His harmless facade fooled just about all of the Monster Force members until the wolf-headed cane he always carried with him was recognized from Lawrence's journal. Though old, his werewolf form is extremely powerful with super strength, speed, and invulnerability to all but silver and energy weapons. Though his name technically references actor Béla Lugosi, who played the werewolf responsible for infecting Lawrence Talbot with Lycanthropy in the 1941 Wolf Man film, this is merely consistent with the original film, where the character's name was also 'Bela'. Lupon is voiced by Rob Cowan.
- The Bride is the female monster created by Dr. V. Frankenstein to be a companion for his original creature. Not really evil, she simply wants to be left alone by everyone, including her intended husband who still loves her deeply. She has the same powers as the Monster.
- Lambert, David (June 19, 2009). "Monster Force - Universal to Release Volume 1 of the 1994 Animated Show". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved 2009-10-21.