Montagu Sherard Dawes Butler
KCSI, Kt, CB, CIE, CVO, CBE
|16th Lieutenant Governor of the Isle of Man|
|Preceded by||Claude Hill|
|Succeeded by||Earl Granville|
|Born||Montagu Sherard Dawes Butler
19 May 1873
|Died||7 November 1955(aged 82)|
|Spouse(s)||Ann Gertrude Smith|
|Children||Richard Austen Butler, Iris Mary Butler, Dorothy Butler, John Perceval Butler|
|Alma mater||Pembroke College, Cambridge|
Sir Montagu Sherard Dawes Butler, KCSI, Kt, CB, CIE, CVO, CBE, ICS (19 May 1873 – 7 November 1955) was Governor of Central Provinces of British India between 1925 and 1933. He was the father of noted British politician Rab Butler.
Born at Julian Hill, a grade II listed building in Harrow, London, Butler was educated at Haileybury and Pembroke College, Cambridge. He became a Fellow of Pembroke in 1895 and entered the Indian Civil Service in 1896. He was appointed a CIE in 1909, a CB in 1916, a CVO in 1918 and a CBE in 1920. He was appointed a Knight Bachelor in the 1924 King's Birthday Honours and was further knighted as a KCSI in December of that year, upon his appointment as Governor of the Central Provinces. Having been knighted in 1924, he was president of the Council of State of India from 1924 to 1925 and Governor of the Central Provinces from 1925 to 1933, and during this same time was chancellor of Nagpur University. After returning to the UK, he was Lieutenant Governor of the Isle of Man from 1933 to 1937, and then Master of Pembroke College, Cambridge from 1937 to 1948. He was mayor of Cambridge between 1941 and 1943.
His parents were Spencer Perceval Butler and Mary, only child of the Revd Nicholas Kendall of Bodmin. He was the brother of Sir Cyril Kendall Butler KBE, Sir Spencer Harcourt Butler, Sir George Geoffrey Gilbert Butler KBE, and Arthur Francis Norman-Butler OBE. In 1901, he married Ann Gertrude Smith. He was survived by son Rab Butler and daughter Iris Mary Butler.
- "Butler, Montagu Sherard Dawes (BTLR891MS)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "W. H. Auden - 'Family Ghosts'". Retrieved 2011-03-04.
- The London Gazette: . 22 June 1909. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 1915. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 30 December 1919. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 30 May 1924. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 16 December 1924. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Nagpur District Gazette".
- "Cambridge mayors 1940-1950". Cambridge City Council. Retrieved 2011-03-04.
- "Butler, Sir Montagu Sherard Dawes". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "The Peerage Site".
- "Sir Montagu Sherard Dawes Butler". National Portrait Gallery. Retrieved 2011-03-04.
Sir Claude Hill
|Lieutenant Governor of the Isle of Man
|Master of Pembroke College, Cambridge
Sydney Castle Roberts