Montague Ullman (September 9, 1916 – June 7, 2008) was a psychiatrist, psychoanalyst and parapsychologist who founded the Dream Laboratory at the Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn, New York and for over three decades actively promoted public interest in dreams and dream sharing groups.
Ullman received his Bachelor of Science degree from the College of the City of New York in 1935 and graduated from the New York University School of Medicine in 1938. Ullman completed training in neurology and psychiatry and, after returning from military service, entered private practice in 1946. He completed his psychoanalytic training at the New York Medical College and served on the psychoanalytic faculty of that institution for 12 years, beginning in 1950. In the 1960s he pursued psychosomatic research in dermatology at the Skin and Cancer Unit of Bellevue Hospital and was associated with the Bellevue Stroke Study for four years. In 1961 he also founded one of the first sleep laboratories in New York City at the Maimonides Medical Center, devoted to the experimental study of dreams and telepathy.
Ullman resigned from Maimonides in 1974 and, since then, was engaged in work on dreams and dreaming. He was in the forefront of the movement to stimulate public interest in dreams and to encourage the development of dream sharing groups. Working in a small group setting that he believed to be both safe and effective, Ullman spent the last three decades of his life leading such groups both in the United States and overseas.
Ullman was also Clinical Professor of Psychiatry Emeritus at Albert Einstein College of Medicine and was a president of both the Parapsychological Association and of the American Society for Psychical Research.
- Ullman, Montague & Zimmerman, Nan. Working with Dreams, Los Angeles: Jeremy P. Tarcher Inc., 1979
- Ullman, Montague & Limmer, Claire (editors). The Variety of Dream Experience, Second edition. New York: State University of New York Press, 1999
- Vaughan, Alan; Ullman, Montague & Krippner, Stanley. Dream Telepathy. New York: Macmillan, 1973
- Ullman, Montague. Appreciating Dreams - A Group Approach, Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, California, 1996; republished by Cosimo Books, New York, 2006
- Dream interpretation
- Siivola, Markku (2011) about Ullman's dream group process: Understanding Dreams: The Gateway to Dreams Without Dream Interpretation
- http://archived.parapsych.org/presidential-addresses.html Parapsychological Association - Presidential Addresses: A Complete History by Carlos Alvarado (Accessed September 2011)
- Appreciating Dreams - A Group Approach