Cover art for Daredevil (vol. 2) #102.
Art by Marko Djurdjevic.
|First appearance||The Amazing Spider-Man #10 (Mar 1964)|
|Created by||Stan Lee and Steve Ditko|
|Alter ego||Jackson W. Brice|
Montana (Jackson W. Brice) is a fictional character in the Marvel Universe.
The character subsequently appears in The Amazing Spider-Man #14 (July 1964), #19 (December 1964), The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 (1964), Marvel Team-Up #39-40 (November–December 1975), The Spectacular Spider-Man #19-20 (June–July 1978), Dazzler #7-8 (October–September 1981), Marvel Team-Up #138 (February 1984), Tales of the Marvels: Inner Demons #1 (1996), Civil War: War Crimes #1 (February 2007), Daredevil #99-100 (September–October 2007), #102 (January 2008), and The Amazing Spider-Man #562-563 (August 2008).
Montana appeared as part of the "Enforcers" entry in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition #4.
Fictional character biography
Montana, Fancy Dan and Ox make their first appearance under the employ of Frederick Foswell (The Big Man). During this time they have their first run-in with their longtime nemesis Spider-Man. During their first fight against the web-slinger, Montana's lasso skills initially prove successful but in the end Spider-Man defeats the trio.[volume & issue needed]
Over the next couple of years, Montana and the team would be employed by Lightmaster in one of his many schemes, again bringing them into conflict with Spider-Man, with similar results.[volume & issue needed] They would then lend their services to Tech-Master in his revenge plot against Harry S. Osgood, only to be defeated by Dazzler.[volume & issue needed] Montana and the team would also go up against the She-Hulk at one point.[volume & issue needed]
Montana alongside Ox and Fancy Dan came back together to work for Mister Fear, which pitted them directly against Daredevil.[volume & issue needed] After Mister Fear's arrest, the Enforcers are taken in by the Hood's organization.[volume & issue needed]
Brand New Day
Following the events of Spider-Man: Brand New Day, the Enforcers are patrons at the Bar With No Name. they take bets with a person calling himself "The Bookie", over whether Spider-Man will show up to battle "Basher", an unknown villain who claimed to have fought Spider-Man. Spider-Man shows up, but is revealed to be a fake when the real web-head shows up. The Enforcers decide to get revenge on The Bookie, capturing him. The Bookie's father calls Spider-Man for assistance, and he agrees to help. Spider-Man defeats Fancy Dan and Montana.[volume & issue needed]
In the story arc, "Kill To Be You", Montana is the Kingpin's right hand man, and shows contempt toward the new Hobgoblin (Phil Urich). When Spider-Man and Black Cat come to steal back the Reverbium, he falls out a window to his death while Hobgoblin saves Kingpin. Hobgoblin cruelly joked that "he'll be missed by everyone - except the pavement".
In the Earth X reality, Montana had mutated where he developed the ability to change his hands into lassos. He and his fellow Enforcers would be hired as heavies to protect President Norman Osborn. This protection proved to be ineffectual when the Skull came to New York to take over America. He took control of Montana and the others and then murdered Osborn. Montana's fate following the defeat of the Skull remain unrevealed.
Along with the other Enforcers, he appears in Ultimate Spider-Man #10 as an employee of the Kingpin, a criminal who controls most of the crime in New York. His real name is Montana Bale in the Ultimate Marvel universe.
- Montana appeared in the 1967 Spider-Man TV series. Referred to as a "cowboy" and portrayed as being more intelligent, he and Ox were hired to steal blueprints for the Plotter.
- Montana appears in The Spectacular Spider-Man, voiced by Jeff Bennett. He was a major antagonist in the pilot episode as the Enforcers' leader being hired by the Big Man to eliminate Spider-Man but instead the Enforcers were defeated and he is the only one to manage escape. In the episode "Market Forces", Montana returns under the Shocker guise after stealing stolen gauntlets from a TRICORP transport to finish his mission to finish Spider-Man. He was able to defeat Spider-Man with ease. But after realizing Spider-Man was still alive, he fought him again at a condemned theater and Spider-Man was able to defeat him by bringing the whole building down on top of him. He was shown webbed up with his Shocker costume on the ground as the police arrived. In the episode "Group Therapy", Shocker is busted out of jail with Doctor Octopus, Rhino, Sandman, Vulture and other two Enforcers thanks to Electro to form the Sinister Six. Despite this, he's defeated once again after his Shocker gauntlets are gradually removed by Spider-Man in the symbiote costume and is knocked unconscious with the symbiote power. Montana appears as Shocker in the episode "Probable Cause" with fellow teammates Ricochet (Fancy Dan) and Ox as the New Enforcers but were eventually stopped by Spider-Man after Hammerhead double-crossed them. In the episode "Opening Night" Montana and the other two Enforcers appear as one of the inmates at the Vault. When released by the Green Goblin, Montana along with the rest of the inmates try to capture Spider-Man but they are all trapped and then gassed with help by another inmate.  Series producer Greg Weisman made a creative choice to make Montana into Shocker during production of this series.
- The Amazing Spider-Man #651
- Earth X #9
- Spider-Man Noir #1
- Ultimate Spider Man #10
- "Market Forces". The Spectacular Spider-Man.
- "Group Therapy". The Spectacular Spider-Man.
- "Probable Cause". The Spectacular Spider-Man.
- "Opening Night". The Spectacular Spider-Man.
- Montana at Comicvine