Scouting in Montana
Scouting in Montana has a long history, from the 1910s to the present day, serving thousands of youth in programs that suit the environment in which they live.
Early history (1910-1950)
One of the first, if not the first, Boy Scout troops in Montana was organized in Butte. In February 1917 Troop 1 in Butte held an event for the public which included music, as well as "exhibition drills, first aid work, and signalling, closing with the presentation of a play." Also in 1917, this same troop made the news because their activities inspired the creation of a new troop in Centerville, Montana. "Twenty-two boys made the trip [a hike from Butte to Divide and back], which was filled with tests for the boys...En route one of the boys suffered from a strained back. A litter was built for him and he was carried to the destination. This was a test in first-aid work...Another hike will be held when the weather permits. The boys were forced to trudge through deep snow on their Washington birthday trip."
Recent history (1950-1990)
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (May 2010)|
Scouting in Montana today
Montana Council formed in 1973 from the merger of four councils, including Vigilante Area Council and the North Central Montana Council.
The main council office is located in Great Falls, Montana.
The Council also offers a high adventure backpacking program at the Montana High Adventure Base (MOHAB) operated by the Boone and Crockett Educational Foundation based at the Elmer E. Rasmuson Conservation Center at the Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Ranch, just east of the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex and near Dupuyer, MT. The program began in 2005, and became affiliated with the Montana Council in 2009. Scout troops from any council may participate.
Northern Lights Council
Girl Scouting in Montana
Girl Scouts of Montana and Wyoming
Girl Scouts of Montana and Wyoming is the only council serving both Montana and Wyoming. It was formed on May 1, 2008 by the merger of Girl Scouts of Big Sky Council, Girl Scouts Treasure Trails Council, and Girl Scout Council of Wyoming.
- Camp Thunderbird is in the MacDonald Pass area near Helena, Montana
- Camp Sacajawea is near Casper, Wyoming
- Camp Timbercrest is on the west fork of Rock Creek in the Beartooth Mountains near Red Lodge, Montana
- Camp Westana is on the Stillwater Lake north of Whitefish, Montana
- "Scouts rehearsing for Entertainment, Butte Troop will give Demonstration of Work," Anaconda Standard (Anaconda, MT), February 21, 1917, page 3.
- "Centerville to have Troop of Boy Scouts," Anaconda Standard (Anaconda, MT), February 27, 1917, page 9.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Scouting in Montana.|
- Montana Council
- Montana High Adventure Base
- Boone and Crockett MOHAB website
- Northern Lights Council
- Girl Scouts of Big Sky Council
- Girl Scouts Treasure Trails Council