Montavilla, Portland, Oregon
|• Association||Montavilla Neighborhood Association|
|• Coalition||Southeast Uplift|
|• Total||2.18 sq mi (5.64 km2)|
|• Density||7,440/sq mi (2,871/km2)|
|• No. of households||6,579|
|• Occupancy rate||95%% occupied|
|• % households renting||42% renting|
|• Avg. household size||2.48 persons|
Montavilla (a syllabic abbreviation of "Mt. Tabor Village) is a neighborhood in the Northeast and Southeast sections of Portland, Oregon, United States, and contains an area from the Banfield to SE Division.
The neighborhood was originally, in the 1890s, named Mount Tabor Village, and was a stopping point for travelers going from Hood River into Portland. The name "Montavilla" originated from the abbreviations used on the streetcar destination signs when streetcars served the area starting in 1892. The name was first abbreviated as "Mt. Ta. Villa", then later as "Monta.Villa". Residents soon adopted the latter name for the neighborhood, written as Montavilla. Streetcar service to Montavilla ended in 1948.
Currently the neighborhood is up and coming, with historic Craftsman style houses and the Montavilla commercial district on SE Stark St with restaurants, coffeeshop, and movie theater.
However, 82nd Ave (formerly Highway of the Roses) as a major throughway within the city, still has issues with crime and prostitution. Areas of the Montavilla neighborhood, especially those north of Glisan St have issues of gang activity and violent crimes.
Montavilla's white ethnic population has been slowly decreasing, while its black, Asian, Hispanic, Native American, and mixed-race populations have been increasing.
- Demographics (2000)
- Nelson, Grant. "The early years of Mt. Tabor". Mount Tabor Neighborhood Association. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- Thompson, Richard H. (2010). Portland's Streetcar Lines. Arcadia Publishing. p. 108. ISBN 978-0-7385-8126-2.
- Thompson (2010), pp. 98–99.
- The Oregonian: Neighbors look for prostitution answer
- Montavilla Neighborhood Association: 2000 Census and 2010 Census Profile
- Media related to Montavilla, Portland, Oregon at Wikimedia Commons
- Guide to Montavilla Neighborhood (PortlandNeighborhood.com)
|This Multnomah County, Oregon state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|