Partido de San Miguel del Monte
location of Partido de San Miguel del Monte in Buenos Aires Province
|Established||November 18, 1779|
|Founded by||Virrey Vértiz|
|• Mayor||Rogelio Andrés Bernardes, PJ|
|• Total||1 km2 (0.4 sq mi)|
|• Density||17,000/km2 (45,000/sq mi)|
The provincial subdivision has a population of about 17,500 inhabitants in an area of 1,847 km2 (713 sq mi), and its capital city is Monte, located 110 km (68 mi) from Buenos Aires on the banks of the Salado River.
The nortwhest course of the Salado, borders with the Partidos of Roque Pérez and General Belgrano. Monte lies in the Humid Pampa, a flat rich-soiled agricultural zone. Drainage is insufficient due to the minimal sloping of the land which causes frequent floods in the area.
Monte has a template climate, with average temperatures of 17 °C (63 °F). The median on the warmest month is 25 °C (77 °F) and the coldest is 10 °C (50 °F). Annual precipitation is 1,000 mm (39.4 in).
- Northeast with Cañuelas
- West with Roque Pérez
- Southwest with General Belgrano
- South with General Paz
Fishing and water sports
- Laguna de Monte: 7.2 km2 (1,800 acres) lake
- Laguna de Las Perdices: 12 km2 (3,000 acres) lake
- Other lakes: 16 km2 (4,000 acres) lake
- Estancia "El Rosario": Antonio Dorna, a rancher built his ranch in the late 18th century on the banks of the Salado River. It is open to the public.