||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (August 2013)|
Monte Pittman by Michele Ambra
|Birth name||Monte Lee Pittman|
|Also known as||Montster|
|Born||19 November 1975|
|Origin||Longview, Texas, USA|
|Occupations||Musician, Singer, Songwriter|
|Instruments||Guitar, Bass, Vocals|
|Years active||1996 – Present|
|Associated acts||Madonna, Prong|
Monte Pittman (born Monte Lee Pittman on November 19, 1975 in Longview, Texas) is an American musician, songwriter and studio musician, based out of Los Angeles, known largely as Madonna's long-time guitarist and for playing with Prong. He has also appeared in the documentary "Who The F**K Is Arthur Fogel?" 
- 1 Career
- 2 Charity
- 3 Equipment
- 4 Discography
- 5 Tours & Special Events
- 6 Awards
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Pittman started playing guitar as a teenager when he "finally got my first guitar when I was 13". His guitar teacher was Robert Browning. He also took music theory and piano lessons from Delores Rhoads at the Musonia School of Music in North Hollywood.
Pittman’s first band was called Insanity. Eventually Pittman and the singer from Insanity, Chris Sheehan, started the 4-piece Myra Mains which was much more successful, releasing 2 demo tapes and 2 full album CDs. Headquartered in Longview, TX, Myra Mains Had fans from Dallas to Shreveport and all over East Texas.
Pittman moved to Los Angeles in 1999 and worked at a guitar store as a salesman. He eventually quit to start teaching guitar lessons. Pittman’s third student was British film director Guy Ritchie, who had just received a guitar as a gift from his girlfriend, Madonna. Ritchie later returned the favor, buying Madonna her own guitar—and she began to take lessons from Pittman as well.
A month after Pittman started giving guitar lessons to Madonna, he was invited to join her on stage at the Late Show with David Letterman to promote her album Music. The pair played guitar together on an acoustic version of the hit song Don't Tell Me. Subsequently, Pittman was invited to join the band for Madonna’s Drowned World Tour (2001). He has played in every incarnation of Madonna’s live band since then.
Additionally, Pittman has contributed performances to Madonna’s studio recordings, appearing on 2005’s Confessions on a Dance Floor (Like It Or Not) and 2008’s Hard Candy (Spanish Lesson & Ring My Bell).
Apart from world tours Pittman has joined Madonna on stage in many special events, most notably at Live 8 where he played for thousands of people at Hyde Park in 2005 and at the 2007 Live Earth where he had the chance to jam "Big Bottom" with Spinal Tap, James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett among a dozen of other bass players on stage.
Most recently he played at the 2012 Super Ball Halftime performance where he debuted his new signature Jarrell MPS Guitar
Pittman started his 5th world tour with the Queen of Pop, the MDNA Tour, on May 31st 2012 in Tel Aviv, Israel and stops in Europe, North & South America till the end of 2012. Paul Oakenfold who opened for Madonna in several US shows, invited Pittman on stage to jam together in the last N.American shows of the tour.
Pittman was introduced to Prong’s Tommy Victor by White Zombie drummer Ivan de Prume; the two hit it off, and Pittman joined Prong in 2000. He played guitar on their 2002 tour that spawned the live album 100% Live. Pittman handled guitar and bass duties for the 2003 album Scorpio Rising.
On Prong’s 2007 release Power of the Damager, Pittman wrote 5 of the 13 songs and provided backing vocals alongside bass duties. He is also credited as an associate producer for both Power of the Damager and the remixed version Power of the Damn Mixxxer which was released on May 2009.
Previous to Adam Lambert's audition on American Idol, Pittman, Lambert, Tommy Victor from Prong and Steve Sidelnyk formed a band titled The Citizen Vein. For the tour of Adam Lambert's debut album, Lambert hired Pittman as his guitarist and musical director. Lambert and the band appeared on several TV shows as well as at the Gridlock New Year's Eve 2010 festival. Canada's Rock Star Weekly reviewed that "Pittman has a rock-god presence of his own, arising from his well-honed, skilled riffs that come from a connection of love and devotion to his instrument over a long and distinguished musical career" Pittman also appears on the 'Beg for Mercy' album, the material of which was recorded before Lambert went on American Idol and is co-written by Pittman and Lambert.
Pittman has been known to perform solo acoustic shows in between his responsibilities with Prong and Madonna. He has developed into a fiercely capable musician—equally able to hold his own in a giant pop stadium tour as in a dark and smoky club belting out brutal metal tunes. Pittman's solo work takes a giant detour from both of those avenues, venturing into melodic acoustic territory on his debut, and branching out into rock anthems.
The Deepest Dark
His debut solo album, The Deepest Dark, was released in November 2009 and features 11 songs all written by Pittman, except for The Circle which was co-written with Tommy Victor and Adam Lambert. All the songs are acoustic.
Almost a year after its digital release, due to popular demand, "The Deepest Dark" was re-released in hard copy CD, with 5 additional bonus tracks. 1 week later, it reached the #1 spot on the most selling albums (Acoustic genre) on CDBaby.com and was #9 in the Top 10 Most Selling Albums on CDBaby for October 2010
Pain, Love & Destiny
Pittman managed to raise $65,500 for his second solo album "Pain, Love & Destiny" through Kickstarter. He recorded the album in the summer of 2011 and Noah Shain produced it. The album features Kane Ritchotte on drums and Kelle Rhoads (Randy Rhoads's brother) on piano. It was released on October 3, 2011
The album made it to No. 1 Rock Album, No. 1 Pop Album, and the Top 10 albums chart in its debut week. Pain, Love & Destiny also climbed its way into the iTunes Top 200 in the same week, making it the only album by an independent artist to do so.
Pittman was nominated in 4 categories at Artists in Music Awards and by popular demand he was also invited to perform at the ceremony on February 10, 2012. He won the Award for "Best Solo Artist". He is also the recipient of a “Career Achievement Award – Guitarist” for the Hollywood F.A.M.E. Awards!
The Power Of Three
Pittman started working on new material on July 1, 2012 in Copenhagen, with Danish producer Flemming Rasmussen (the producer behind Metallica's old albums). He first released an acoustic EP "M.P.3.: The Power Of Three, Part 1" (released on November 19 2012) and went back to Copenhagen on February 2013, with bandmates Kane Ritchotte and Max Whipple to record more songs with Rasmussen also producing it.
"A Dark Horse", the first single from The Power Of Three was released on October 14, 2013 by Metal Blade Records and marks Pittman's return to his metal roots. The second single is track #7 on the album and is entitled "Before the Mourning Son". It was released on November 25 2013.  The final track on the album, "All is Fair in Love and War" features guitars by Testament's Alex Skolnick and additional vocals from Chris Barnes (ex-Cannibal Corpse, Six Feet Under). 
The album was released on January 21, 2014  and has received many raving reviews. Music blog "The Global Onslaught" has described it as "2014’s sleeping giant in the echelons of Hard Rock and Metal." 
In addition to having performed in several charity events, including Live 8, Live Earth, Hope for Haiti, Pittman is an Honorary Board member of Little Kids Rock.
Most recently, he donated the guitar that he played at the 2012 Super Bowl Halftime Performance to the 2012 Dream Foundation and helped raise $10,000.
On November 2012 he played with the Amadeus Youth Orchestra in Colombia, supported by the Amadeus Foundation which helps creating music schools in Medellin.
Pittman has been seen using various guitars over the years, including Breedlove and PRS but seems to have settled into using the Gibson Les Paul as his primary guitar. He has also been known to play Gibson SGs and he has a number of custom made Gibson electrics, acoustics, and basses—frequently specially-built for use in Madonna shows.
Jarrell MPS Signature Guitar
On December 2011, Jarrell Guitars announced that they are launching a new line, the Monte Pittman Signature Guitar and it will be presented at the 2012 NAMM. The Jarrell MPS features a custom Seymour Duncan pickup set making it one of the most versatile guitars in the market. "All together it seems Monte Pittman and Jarrell Guitars are hell bent on rocking the world - the sound of which is none other than simply amazing."
Pittman comments on the MPS, "There are 13 different sounds you can get out of it. It's the most versatile guitar I've ever played. Jarrell guitars have a very unique and distinctive sound. We have three models. The regular MPS and the MPS-f which has a Floyd Rose. They are loaded with custom Seymour Duncan pickups. There is also the MPS Classic which is the least expensive."
Like most guitarists, Pittman’s effects change from show to show, but he has consistently employed the Roger Linn AdrenaLinn, the Emma DiscomBOBulator, and the Keeley Compressor. He has been known to use Eventide, Boss, MXR, Crybaby, Ernie Ball, Electro-Harmonix, Digitech, Line 6, Dunlop, VoiceLive 2 by TC-Helicon and Fishman effects pedals.
- The Power Of Three (2014)
- Before The Mourning Son - single (2013)
- A Dark Horse - single (2013)
- M.P.3: The Power Of Three, Part 1 (2012)
- Pain, Love, & Destiny (2011)
- The Deepest Dark (With Bonus Tracks) (2010)
- The Deepest Dark (2009)
- Drowned World Tour (2001)
- American Life (2003)
- Re-Invention Tour (2004)
- Confessions on a Dance Floor (2005)
- I'm Going to Tell You a Secret (2006)
- Confessions Tour (2007)
- Hey You (single) (2007)
- Hard Candy (2008)
- It’s So Cool (2009) (Celebration bonus track)
- Sticky & Sweet Tour (2010)
- MDNA Tour (2012)
- 100% Live (2002)
- Scorpio Rising (2003)
- The Vault (2005)
- Power of the Damager (2007)
- Power of the Damn Mixxxer (2009)
With Myra Mains
- Condition (1996)
- Buried (1999)
With other artists
- Melanie C – Reason (2003)
- Sophie Ellis Bextor – Shoot from the Hip (2003)
- Adam Lambert - Take One (2005)
- Run Run Run – Endless Winter (2006)
- Run Run Run – Good Company EP (2007)
- Jes – Disconnect (2007)
- Nicki Richards – Nicki (2008)
- In Extremo – Sängerkrieg (2008)
- Steve Cooke – Radio (2010)
- Adam Lambert – Adam Lambert Acoustic Live (2010)
- Adam Lambert – Glam Nation Live (2011)
- Adam Lambert – Beg for Mercy (2011)
- Scarlett Cherry - Love U Like
- Scarlett Cherry - Labor of Love (2011)
- K.Mac - Hallelujah (2013)
Tours & Special Events
- Drowned World Tour (2001) with Madonna
- Prong Live (2002-2003) with Prong
- MTV Video Music Awards (2003) with Madonna
- Re-Invention World Tour (2004) with Madonna
- Tsunami Aid (2004) with Madonna
- Live 8 (2005) with Madonna
- MTV Europe Music Awards (2005) with Madonna
- Grammy Awards (2006) with Madonna
- Confessions Tour (2006) with Madonna
- Live Earth (2007) with Madonna
- Slicing Across America & Europe (2007) with Prong
- Sticky & Sweet Tour (2008-2009) with Madonna
- American Music Awards (2009) with Adam Lambert
- Hope for Haiti Now (2010) with Madonna
- GLAAD Media Award (2010) with Adam Lambert
- Glam Nation Tour (2010) with Adam Lambert
- Artists in Music Awards (2011) Solo
- MDNA Tour (2012) with Madonna
|2012||Monte Pittman||Best Rock Artist||Nominated|
|Best Blues Artist||Nominated|
|Best Solo Artist||Won|
|Pain, Love & Destiny||Album of the Year||Nominated|
|2012||Monte Pittman||Male Singer/Songwriter||Nominated|
Hollywood F.A.M.E. Awards
Pittman was honored by the Hollywood F.A.M.E. Awards with the "Career Achievement Award - Guitarist" on November 15, 2012
- "Monte Pittman Interview". Guitarhoo!. Guitarhoo.com. January 5, 2013. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- L.A. Premiere of Who the F**K is Arthur Fogel?
- "Monte Pittman Fave 5 Record Reviews". Guitarhoo!. Guitarhoo.com. January 9, 2013. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- Spring Hill graduate performs at Live Earth. Nl.newsbank.com (2007-07-07). Retrieved on 2011-11-30.
- Monte Pittman: The Texas Trail to Prong and Madonna. Bossus.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-30.
- Madonna & Monte Pittman at the David Letterman Show. Youtube.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-30.
- Breedlove Artists[dead link]
- Announcing the MPS, Monte Pittman Signature Guitar
- Prong at Twisted Talent Concert. Twisted-talent.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-30.
- Garry Sharpe-Young (2005) New Wave of American Heavy Metal (1st edition) ISBN 0-9582684-0-1
- The Citizen Vein – Discover music, concerts, stats, & pictures at. Last.fm (2009-02-11). Retrieved on 2011-11-30.
- Gridlock 2010 feat. Adam Lambert. Dose.clubzone.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-30.
- Adam Lambert's Orchestra Of Glitz Welcomes 2010. Rockstarweekly
- Open Mic Night with Monte Pittman. Axestaticprocess.wordpress.com (2010-01-31). Retrieved on 2011-11-30.
- Monte Pittman's solo album debut. Thezodiacshow.blogspot.com (2009-12-03). Retrieved on 2011-11-30.
- The Deepest Dark to be re-released in hard copy CD[dead link]
- The Deepest Dark reaches Top Acoustic Albums on CDBaby. montepittman.com. October 8, 2010
- Top 10 CD Baby Albums: October 2010. Blog.discmakers.com (2010-11-01). Retrieved on 2011-11-30.
- Top 5 Most Successful Kickstarter Music Campaigns. Montepittman.com (2011-08-10). Retrieved on 2011-11-30.
- Monte's 2nd album release date. Montepittman.com (2011-08-07). Retrieved on 2011-11-30.
- Monte Pittman at HauteThought
- Monte Pittman to perform at Artists in Music Awards
- Monte Pittman to receive Career Achievement Award
- Monte Pittman on German TV
- Monte Pittman gets Metallica producer Flemming Rasmussen for his 3rd album
- Monte Pittman signs with Metal Blade Records
- Monte Pittman releases second single "Before The Mourning Son"
- Alex Skolnick & Chris Barnes are featured in Monte’s new album
- Metal Blade Records announces the new album from MONTE PITTMAN “The Power of Three”
- Global Onslaught review for The Power Of Three"
- Monte Pittman to perform with the Amadeus Youth Orchestra
- Breedlove Acoustics. Folkofthewood.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-30.
- Announcing the MPS, Monte Pittman Signature Guitar
- Jarrell Guitars Debuts "Monte Pittman Signature" Guitar At NAMM 2012
- Monte Pittman talks about his career and new guitar on MetroSeeker.com
- "Monte Pittman – Madonna". Orange Amplifiers. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- Monte Pittman's pedalboard. Axestaticprocess.wordpress.com (2009-08-02). Retrieved on 2011-11-30.
- TC-Helicon Artists. Tc-helicon.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-30.
- Fishman Artists. Fishman.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-30.
- Take One (album). Wikipedia (2009-12-03). Retrieved on 2011-12-27.
- Nicki Richards ''Nicki'' Album Credits. Newsli.com (2009-02-25). Retrieved on 2011-11-30.
- Artists in Music Awards Artists in Music Awards
- Los Angeles Music Awards Los Angeles Music Awards
- "Monte Pittman to receive Career Achievement Awards". Montepittman.com.