Monterey High School (Monterey, California)
|Monterey High School|
Monterey High Toreadore
|101 Herrmann Drive
Monterey, California, 93940
|School district||Monterey Peninsula USD|
|Color(s)||Kelly green and Gold
|Athletics conference||CIF – Central Coast Section|
Founded as Monterey County High School, the present-day school occupies the same site as the original school built in 1915. In 1963, Seaside High School became the second school in what was the Monterey Union High School District. The District unified in 1966 and became the Monterey Peninsula Unified School District (MPUSD). 
Monterey High School is known to be one of the best high schools for sports in the county. It has a rich history and many athletes advance to play sports in college and beyond. Seaside High School is its main rival as they share the beautiful Monterey Bay together. The school has two gyms: Randall Gym which was built in the 1920s and the smaller Harmon Gym built in the 1940s, named after the late coach Randy Randall and the late P.E. teacher Jean Harmon. It is also home to the Dan Albert Stadium named after the longtime Monterey Mayor and former football coach.
Monterey High School is situated on 12.3 acres (5.0 ha; 0.0192 sq mi) and contains 50 classrooms, a library, a lecture room, two gymnasiums, a dance studio, a cafeteria, and an administration building. In 2010, the District passed a $78 million bond. Funds have been designated to upgrade the school's infrastructure. Renovations to the school's heating system, swimming pool, student bathrooms, counseling office, library, and includes constructing a college and career counseling center and computer lab. Common areas will be completed in Phase I of the project along with ADA compliance. The district is as of 2014 using general funds to upgrade the technology resources across the campus.
- Dan Albert longtime Monterey mayor and a former MHS football coach. Father of Dan Albert Jr., Principal of Monterey High from 2000-2007.
- Mike Aldrete, coach with the St. Louis Cardinals and a former Major League Baseball player (1986–1996)
- Tory Belleci, MythBusters
- Jim Colletto, college head coach;Cal State Fullerton;Purdue University;pro football coach 9 years; Super Bowl participant 2001 with Baltimore Ravens ;co-captain UCLA rose bowl champions (1965); UCLA Baseball Hall of Fame member
- Claude Crabb, former National Football League player (1962–1968)
- Herman Edwards, Head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs and a former National Football League player (1977–1986).
- Charley Harraway, former National Football League player (1966–1973)
- Pete Incaviglia, Manager of the Grand Prairie AirHogs (Minor League Baseball) and a former Major League Baseball player (1986–1998)
- Leon Panetta, former United States Secretary of Defense (2011–2013), and previously a United States Congressman (1977–1993), White House Chief of Staff (1994–1997), and Director of the Central Intelligence Agency (2009–2011).
- Josh Randall, actor
- Nick Cunningham, 2010 Olympic Bobsledder (Placed 12th in the two-man sled)
|This California school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|