|This article does not cite any references or sources. (April 2013)|
|• Mayor (2008–14)||Hervé Planchenault|
|Area1||5.71 km2 (2.20 sq mi)|
|• Density||5,800/km2 (15,000/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||78420 / 78490|
|Elevation||98–183 m (322–600 ft)|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Montfort-l'Amaury is a commune in the Yvelines department in the Île-de-France region in north-central France. It is located in the south-western suburbs of Paris 20 km (12 mi) north of Rambouillet. The name comes from Amaury I de Montfort, the first count of Montfort.
Montfort-l'Amaury lies north of the Rambouillet Forest. It is located at the foot of low hills, at about 130 m above sea level.
King Robert II built a castle in 996 in the hills of Montfort. Montfort-l'Amaury was the stronghold of the Montfort family from the start of the 11th century. Amaury I built the ramparts.
The Comté de Montfort was related to the Duchy of Brittany following the marriage of Yolande de Dreux-Montfort with Arthur of Brittany in 1294. It returned to the crown of France when Brittany became a part of France under Francis I. The castle was destroyed by the English during the Hundred Years' War.
Sites of interest
- Ruins of the castle
- Maison de Maurice Ravel, which is now a museum  . Maurice Ravel lived here from 1921 until his death.
- Château de Groussay, built in the 19th century
- Jean Anouilh, dramatist
- Colette Darfeuil, actress
- Henri George Doll, scientist
- Jean Monnet, architect of European Unity
- Simon de Montfort, 6th Earl of Leicester (born in the castle, 1208)
- Maurice Ravel, composer
- Nickenich, Germany
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Montfort-l'Amaury.|
- Official website
- Pictures of Castle Montfort l'Amaury
- Photos by Amaury Laporte, free to use for non commercial purposes
- Information about Montfort l'Amaury