Montfort School, Yercaud
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014)|
|Montfort Higher Secondary School|
|Motto||Virtue and Labour|
Montfort School, Yercaud, is a secondary school for boys and girls (Co-ed) run by the Montfort Brothers of St. Gabriel in the town of Yercaud, near Salem in Tamil Nadu, India. The school motto is "Virtue and Labour".
Rev. Bro. Eugene Mary (Julien Marie Le Pevedic) was born on May 26, 1879 at Plescop de Grand champ, in the diocese of Vannes, in Brittany. He belonged to an excellent, intelligent and educated family. While in England, he underwent a sound training in the art of conversation. In December 1905, he sailed to India with Bro. Claudien and Bro. Louis D’Anjou. Bro. Denis met them there and accompanied them to Ooty where they arrived on 6 January. A new community was formed with Bro. Eugene Mary as Director.
Bro. Eugene came to Montfort School, Yercaud in 1917 and for the remaining 30 years of his life, he lived in and about Montfort, perfecting the work he had begun, and returning to it frequently, even when higher responsibilities had been entrusted to him. Generations of young men, who have passed through Montfort and have acquired a new vision and a new courage to face life, have him to thank for it. His spirit is written on every stone and corner and the customs and traditions of the school were his creation.
Montfort Anglo-Indian Higher Secondary School is a residential institution with a glorious history dating back to 1 June 1917. Initially, it was a European school founded during the First World War. Beginning with George Spitteler, the first student to be registered in Montfort on 1.6.1917, every Montfortian continues to build its glorious history. The period between 1936 and 1942 were the glorious years in the history of Montfort. It was during this period that the school chapel was built and consecrated.
In 1975, 'Mayfield' was purchased and the present buildings were put up to start the Higher Secondary Classes. Presently it houses the junior school from Stds III to VII. Montfort has produced numerous personalities in all walks of life.
The School Colours
'Blue and Gold' are the school colours.
'Virtus et Labor'
Once more unite our youthful voices,
Amidst our halls the strain to raise,
With rapid swell the heart rejoices,
When virtue is the theme of praise.
We follow those who have trodden uprightly,
As well in sunshine as in rain,
Old boys and new, we do fashion so tightly,
Enduring links of one long chain.
Virtue and Labour! There’s naught can dismay,
When God from on high sheds His light on our way,
Virtue and Labour with Heaven for our guide,
The Blue and the Gold shall be known far and wide,
The Blue and the Gold shall be ever our pride.
We love our Alma Mater dearly,
For all the blessings richly given,
The lessons she has taught so clearly,
The ceaseless care with which she’s striven.
Our tender hearts with emotion are beating,
In Blue and Gold the words we pen,
In joy, in grief, in the life that is fleeting,
Montfort boys shall aye be men.
- Ft. Lt. Arthur Sri Hari, who was posthumously, awarded Vir Chakra
- Air vice Marshal Victor Sri Hari - awarded the Vishisht Seva Medal
- Wing Commander Adrian Albuquerque (passed out as outstanding cadet)
- J.A. Thivy was Indian Ambassador to Holland
- Rev. Fr. Theo Mathais S.J who represented India at the United Nations
- P.T.R.Palanivel Rajan, Former Speaker of Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly
- Dr. Edyan Elango, Trauma specialist (stood first in surgical medicine, in the U.S. at the National level, for four consecutive years in a row)
- M.J.Varkey, M.P.Rajya Sabha 
- Mohan Sivanand - Editor-in-Chief, Reader's Digest India
- S.A.R Thondaman, Ceylon Workers Congress and Hon’ble Minister of Labour, Government of Sri Lanka
- Anbumani Ramadoss- Former Union Cabinet Minister for Health and Family Welfare
- Sashi Tharoor- Former Minister of state for Foreign Affairs; former UN Under-Secretary General for Communications and Public Information and author
- Vikram Kennedy- Famous Indian Cine Actor
- Roger Binny - All rounder in the World Cup winning Indian cricket team of 1983
- Imran Arafat - Indian Athlete
- Venugopal S. Raja - passed out as an outstanding student
- S. Prabhukumar, CEO, Maxim Liberty, Inc., Virginia, USA
- Nagesh Kukunoor, Noted film-maker
- Jose K. Mani,Politician
- Lovekush Singhania, Writer 
- Dr Prasanna Venkatesh - Sr. Urologist and Managing Director, NU Hospitals, Bangalore
- Jack Joseph - Administrative Specialist - State of New Jersey, USA
- Montfort Yercaud School Old Boys' Association
- Montfort School Yercaud - Official Website
- Montfort School, Anakkara