Montgomery High School (Santa Rosa, California)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
|Montgomery High School|
|1250 Hahman Drive
Santa Rosa, CA, 95405
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Santa Rosa City Schools|
|Principal||Laurie A. Fong|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||1,742 (as of 2011–12[update])|
Montgomery High School is a public high school located in Santa Rosa, California. It is part of the Santa Rosa High School District, which is itself part of Santa Rosa City Schools. The current principal is Laurie A. Fong.
Montgomery High School was named after Bill Montgomery. Montgomery is considered the first person from the city of Santa Rosa to have died in World War II. William "Billy" Montgomery was killed at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941 while serving aboard the USS California. The school was established in 1958 and is located on 1250 Hahman Drive. The school mascot is the Viking.
Montgomery participates in the International Baccalaureate Organization as an IB World School, providing the IB Diploma Programme as well as the full complement of classes available to juniors and seniors. Montgomery High School has been an IB World School since July 1995.
As of the 2011-12 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,745 students.
Awards and recognition
During the 1990-91 school year, Montgomery High School was recognized with the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education, the highest award an American school can receive.
The distance squad has sent at least one representative to the state championship meet every year for the past decade. Starting in 1982, with the a group of seniors on the JV team that beat Cardinal Newman in the NBL's, other titles continued from there. The 2000 Girls team took the state title, led by top individual finisher Sara Bei (now professional runner Sara Hall). Kim Conley (class of 2004) ran in the 5000 meter at the 2012 London Olympics.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (January 2013)|
- 1,742 students:
|Hispanic||African American||Asian||Pacific Islander||White, non-Hispanic||Multiracial||American Indian|
- Melba Pattillo Beals (1941-), member of the Little Rock Nine, a group of African-American students who were the first to integrate Little Rock Central High School; attended Montgomery for her senior year.
- Nancy Ling Perry (1947–1974), member of the Symbionese Liberation Army.
- Mel Gray (1948- ), Wide Receiver for the St. Louis Cardinals from 1971-1982.
- Mark Illsley (1958- ), Writer & Director of Happy, Texas
- Scott Ware (1983- ), former Safety from USC and the practice squad of the Indianapolis Colts
- Kahlil Bell (1986- ), Running Back for the Chicago Bears of the NFL. Attended Montgomery for freshman and sophomore years.
- Koa Misi (1987- ), Outside Linebacker for the Miami Dolphins.
- Dan Hicks (1941- ) Singer in Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks and The Charatans
- Sulo Williams (1973- ) Actor, Writer, and Producer of the movie, Convincing Clooney
- "K-12 Public School Enrollment". California Department of Education. Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- Montgomery High School, International Baccalaureate Organization. Accessed September 4, 2007.
- Montgomery High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed January 31, 2013.
- Blue Ribbon Schools Program: Schools Recognized 1982-1983 through 1999-2002 (PDF), United States Department of Education. Accessed May 11, 2006.
- CIBA cited as one of the best by Education Department[dead link], Journal Inquirer, November 16, 2006. "The Blue Ribbon award is given only to schools that reach the top 10 percent of their state's testing scores over several years or show significant gains in student achievement. It is considered the highest honor a school can achieve."
- Award Winners for Sonoma County[dead link], California Distinguished Schools, California Department of Education. Accessed September 4, 2007.
- School Enrollment by Ethnicity - Enrollment by Ethnicity for 2011-12
- Interview with Melba Patillo Beals, Scholastic Press, January 31, 1998. Accessed September 4, 2007. "I went to Santa Rosa, CA, taken in by Dr. and Mrs. George McCabe, who I still call mom and dad today.... I finished high school in California. Montgomery High School — an integrated school."
- "ARRESTS REVIVE GRIM AND SURREAL MEMORIES OF TIME WORTH FORGETTING", The Press Democrat, January 18, 2002.
- Mason, Clark. "Donald Ellis", The Press Democrat, March 30, 2006. Accessed January 29, 2008.
- Mel Gray, database Football. Accessed January 29, 2008.
- http://college.blogs.pressdemocrat.com/10020/kahlil-bell-signs-with-vikings/, The Press Democrat, May 2, 2009. Accessed December 26, 2009.
- http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/misi_koa00.html, Utah Official Athletic Site, Accessed December 26, 2009.