Lawrence County Courthouse in Monticello
Location of Monticello, Mississippi
|• Total||3.3 sq mi (8.7 km2)|
|• Land||3.3 sq mi (8.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||194 ft (59 m)|
|• Density||530.4/sq mi (204.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0673748|
Monticello is located at (31.554181, -90.109962).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 3.3 square miles (8.5 km2), of which 3.2 square miles (8.3 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (2.69%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,726 people, 690 households, and 451 families residing in the town. The population density was 530.4 people per square mile (205.1/km²). There were 754 housing units at an average density of 231.7 per square mile (89.6/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 64.19% White, 34.18% African American, 0.98% Asian, and 0.64% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.06% of the population.
There were 690 households out of which 32.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.9% were married couples living together, 19.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.6% were non-families. 32.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.37 and the average family size was 3.01.
In the town the population was spread out with 27.5% under the age of 18, 8.7% from 18 to 24, 24.8% from 25 to 44, 20.8% from 45 to 64, and 18.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 77.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 71.4 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $27,109, and the median income for a family was $40,063. Males had a median income of $36,429 versus $16,538 for females. The per capita income for the town was $16,013. About 23.3% of families and 27.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 39.2% of those under age 18 and 15.0% of those age 65 or over.
- Kendra King, Miss Mississippi USA 2006
- Erick Dampier, NBA Center
- Rod Paige, former U.S. Secretary of Education
- Al Jefferson, Forward/Center for the Charlotte Bobcats
- Major Everett, former NFL Running back
- J. B. Lenoir, Blues singer
- Byther Smith, Blues singer
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Lawrence County District Superintendent Retrieved December 4 2014