Lawrence County Courthouse in Monticello
Location of Monticello, Mississippi
|• Total||3.3 sq mi (8.7 km2)|
|• Land||3.3 sq mi (8.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||194 ft (59 m)|
|• Density||530.4/sq mi (204.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0673748|
Monticello is located at (31.554181, -90.109962).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 3.3 square miles (8.5 km2), of which 3.2 square miles (8.3 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (2.69%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,571 people, 613 households, and 400 families residing in the town. This was down from the 2000 census which showed 1726 people in 451 households. The population density was 530.4 people per square mile (205.1/km²). There were 754 housing units at an average density of 231.7 per square mile (89.6/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 64.19% White, 34.18% African American, 0.98% Asian, and 0.64% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.06% of the population.
Of the 613 households in Monticello in 2010, 34.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 39.5% were married couples living together, 18.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.7% were non-families. 29% of household had at least one member who was over 65 years of age.
In the town the population was evenly distributed age-wise with 24.9% under the age of 18, 8.7% from 18 to 24, 27.1% from 25 to 44, 23.2% from 45 to 64, and 15% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35.1 years. For every 100 females there were 97 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $27,109, and the median income for a family was $40,063. Males had a median income of $36,429 versus $16,538 for females. The per capita income for the town was $16,013. About 23.3% of families and 27.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 39.2% of those under age 18 and 15.0% of those age 65 or over.
The Mayor of Monticello as of March 2014 is David H. Nichols II
- Kendra King, Miss Mississippi USA 2006
- Erick Dampier, NBA Center
- Rod Paige, former U.S. Secretary of Education
- Al Jefferson, Forward/Center for the Charlotte Bobcats
- Major Everett, former NFL Running back
- J. B. Lenoir, Blues singer
- Byther Smith, Blues singer
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Lawrence County District Superintendent Retrieved December 4 2014