The abbey cloisters
|• Mayor (2008–2015)||Daniel Petit|
|• Land1||19.09 km2 (7.37 sq mi)|
|• Population2 density||860/km2 (2,200/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||76447 / 76290|
|Elevation||2–94 m (6.6–308.4 ft)
(avg. 8 m or 26 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
A large light industrial and farming town by the banks of the river Lézarde in the Pays de Caux, situated just 4 miles (6.4 km) north of Le Havre, at the junction of the D489, D52, D926 and D31 roads.
Pre-Roman archaeological discoveries include Bronze Age axes and jade jewelry. The old Roman road from here to Harfleur was destroyed by the English in 1415.
The Abbey Church of Notre-Dame, sometimes referred to as 'Montvilliers Abbey' dates back to 684, although it was destroyed a Viking raid in 850, and rebuilt as a church in both the Romanesque and Gothic styles.
|The arms of Montivilliers are blazoned :
Gules, a church argent, the door open, and the bell tower pierced of the field, topped with the head of a crozier Or, between 2 inescutcheons of France, and in base a lizard fesswise vert. (France=Azure, 3 fleurs-de-lys Or)
|Starting in 1962: Population without duplicates|
Places of interest
- The nineteenth-century chateau de Colmoulins.
- The church of St.Germain, dating from the fourteenth century.
- The abbey church of Notre-Dame, dating from the eleventh century.
- The abbey museum
- A Protestant church (1787)
- The medieval ramparts.
- The Arboretum du parc de Rouelles is an arboretum set within the Parc de Rouelles.
- René Bihel, French footballer was born here in 1916.
- Sébastien Lepape, short track speed skater, born here in 1991.
- Jean Prévost, writer, lived here when his father was principal of a local school.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Montivilliers.|
- "Sébastien Lepape". sochi2014.com. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- Montivilliers official website (French)
- Montivilliers Abbey official website (English)
- Articleand photos about the abbey at Montivilliers (French)
- Abbey Church of Notre-Dame (English)
- Montivilliers on the Quid website (French)
|This Le Havre geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|