Montour, New York
|Montour, New York|
|• Total||18.6 sq mi (48.3 km2)|
|• Land||18.6 sq mi (48.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||741 ft (226 m)|
|• Density||131.3/sq mi (50.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0979233|
The town was first settled around 1794 near the current village of Montour Falls, which is named after a waterfall at the edge of the village, called by the natives "Che-qua-gah," or "roaring water."
The former Chemung Canal passed through the town, after completion in 1833.
Montour was the last town formed in the county, created from part of the Town of Catharine in 1860.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 18.6 square miles (48 km2), of which, 18.6 square miles (48 km2) of it is land and 0.05% is water.
The south town line is the border of Chemung County.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,446 people, 1,005 households, and 658 families residing in the town. The population density was 131.3 people per square mile (50.7/km²). There were 1,078 housing units at an average density of 57.9 per square mile (22.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 97.96% White, 0.74% African American, 0.33% Native American, 0.16% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, and 0.74% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.33% of the population.
There were 1,005 households out of which 26.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.3% were married couples living together, 10.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.5% were non-families. 28.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.31 and the average family size was 2.80.
In the town the population was spread out with 21.1% under the age of 18, 7.4% from 18 to 24, 26.5% from 25 to 44, 24.3% from 45 to 64, and 20.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 86.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 80.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $33,879, and the median income for a family was $42,303. Males had a median income of $30,774 versus $21,618 for females. The per capita income for the town was $16,983. About 8.1% of families and 11.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.6% of those under age 18 and 6.5% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations in Montour
- Catharine Creek – a stream flowing northward to Seneca Lake. It was partially exploited to form the Chemung Canal.
- Catharine Creek Wildlife Management Area – A conservation area in the north part of Montour.
- Deckertown – A hamlet southeast of Montour Falls.
- Montour Falls (formerly "Havana") – Most of the Village of Montour Falls is at the west town line.
- Watkins Glen – A small eastern part of the Village of Watkins Glen is at the west town line by Seneca Lake.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.