Montreal Children's Theatre
The Montreal Children's Theatre was founded in 1933 by Dorothy Davis[disambiguation needed] and Violet Walters. Walters and Davis started the school "not necessarily to create young actors and actresses, but with the premise that good speech, self-esteem and confidence were primary goals ...". The first class in 1933 had less than twenty-five students and was held in a basement. In the 75 years since its opening, the theatre (now known as The Children's Theatre) has grown tremendously. The theatre has presented over 700 stage productions to more than a quarter of a million children.
"Over 10,000 Montrealers have enjoyed classes at The Children's Theatre since the school was founded in 1933 by Dorothy Davis and Violet Walters. Some have gone onto professional careers in motion pictures, television and the stage. Many have obtained roles in TV and radio commercials both as children and adults."
The ladies ran the school until they were in their 90's. Dorothy Davis died on September 22, 1993. Violet Davis died in September 1994. The Children's Theatre, is now run by Leigh Janson Cooke and Ryan Bowles.
- 1933-1991 - Founded in 1933 by Violet Walters and Dorothy Davis, both now deceased.
- 1991–2006 - Run by Shelia April, a former student.
- 2006–present - Run by Leigh Janson Cooke and Ryan Bowels.
- William Shatner - Actor (including starring in Star Trek;T. J. Hooker; Boston Legal)
- Ben Mulroney - "Canadian Idol" Host - Son of Former Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney
- Pat Donnelly - Montreal Gazette Theatre Critic
- "The Childrens' Theatre Turns 75" by Sharman Yarnell
- Muriel Gold from her Masters Thesis "A Study of Three Montreal Children's Theatres: in British, Russian and French Traditions"
- The Children's Theatre website
- Records Management and Archives - Dorothy Davis
- Our History | Montreal Children's Theatre
- Montreal Gazette
- The Children's Theatre
- Dorothy Davis
- William Shatner discussing his experiences at the Montreal Children's Theatre (includes pictures of a younger D.Davis and V. Walters)
- "Instant French" 1965 movie by the National Film Board of Canada - Cast includes Dorothy Davis and Violet Walters
- Article in the Canadian Jewish News (August 16, 2007) by Elaine Cohen on Page B11 about the Montreal Children's Theatre
- "THE DRAMATIC LEGACY OF DOROTHY DAVIS AND VIOLET WALTERS: The Montreal Children's Theatre, 1933-2009" available on Amazon