||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the French Wikipedia. (February 2009)|
|Borough of Montreal|
|Arrondissement de Montréal-Nord|
Montreal North Borough Hall
Montreal North's location on the Island of Montreal.
|Incorporated||1915 (from Sault-au-Récollet)|
|January 01, 2002|
|• Mayor||Gilles Deguire|
|• Federal MP(s)||Emmanuel Dubourg (LIB)
Paulina Ayala (NDP)
|• Quebec MNA||Rita de Santis (LIB)
Marie Montpetit (LIB)
|• Land||11.07 km2 (4.27 sq mi)|
|• Density||7,576.2/km2 (19,622/sq mi)|
|• Change (2006-11)||0.1%|
|• Dwellings (2006)||38,122|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−4)|
Montreal North (French: Montréal-Nord) is a borough (arrondissement) of the city of Montreal, Quebec, Canada. It consists entirely of the former city of Montréal-Nord on Island of Montreal in southwestern Quebec. It was amalgamated into the City of Montreal on January 1, 2002.
Montreal North has the reputation of being one of Montreal's most dangerous boroughs, along with Hochelaga-Maisonneuve. The biggest problem in the area is poverty. Although Montreal North does have a middle class to upper middle class sector.
The borough is an oblong municipal division situated along the Rivière des Prairies, in the northeastern part of the island.
It is bordered to the west by Ahuntsic-Cartierville, to the southwest by Villeray–Saint-Michel–Parc-Extension, to the south by Saint Leonard, at the southeast corner by Anjou, and to the east by Rivière-des-Prairies–Pointe-aux-Trembles.
Major thoroughfares in Montreal North include Saint Michel Blvd., Pie IX Blvd. (Autoroute 25), Lacordaire Blvd., Langelier Blvd., Léger Blvd., and Henri Bourassa Blvd. The Pie IX Bridge connects Montreal North to the Laval district of Saint-Vincent-de-Paul.
It has an area of 11.07 km² and a population of 83,911.
Federal and provincial elections
|Both English and French||1,075||1%|
As of the November 3, 2013 Montreal municipal election, the current borough council consists of the following councillors:
|Gilles Deguire||Équipe Coderre|
|Marie-Clarac||City councillor||Chantal Rossi||Équipe Coderre|
|Borough councillor||Monica Ricourt||Équipe Coderre|
|Ovide-Clermont||City councillor||Jean-Marc Gibeau||Équipe Coderre|
|Borough councillor||Sylvia Lo Bianco||Équipe Coderre|
For yet undisclosed reasons on Saturday, August 9 of 2008 the officers of the Service de police de la Ville de Montréal shot and killed Honduran immigrant Fredy Alberto Villanueva. This served to set off the tensions that had already been simmering in this multi-ethnic borough, and riots erupted the next evening (2008-08-10), after an otherwise peaceful protest march in the afternoon.
The rioters looted neighborhood stores, several cars and garbage cans were set on fire, one paramedic and two police officers were wounded and one female police officer shot. Firetrucks and firefighters arriving to put out the fires were then targeted by the rioters.
The Commission scolaire de la Pointe-de-l'Île operates French-language public schools. The secondary schools in the arrondissement are École secondaire Calixa-Lavallée and École secondaire Henri-Bourassa. There is also the Le Prélude program. There are 14 Francophone primary schools in Montréal-Nord.
The English Montreal School Board operates Anglophone public schools:
- Galileo Adult Education Centre (Centre d'éducation des adultes Galileo)
- Lester B Pearson High School
- Gerald McShane School
- Ministère des Affaires Municipales et Régions: Montréal-Nord
- Parliament of Canada Federal Riding History: BOURASSA (Quebec)
Parliament of Canada Federal Riding History: HONORÉ-MERCIER (Quebec)
- Chief Electoral Officer of Québec - 40th General Election Riding Results: BOURASSA-SAUVÉ
Chief Electoral Officer of Québec - 40th General Election Riding Results: CRÉMAZIE
- 2006 Statistics Canada Community Profile: Montréal-Nord, Quebec
- "Population totale en 2006 et en 2011 - Variation — Densité" (PDF). Canada 2011 Census (in French). Ville de Montréal. 2012. Retrieved 5 June 2012.
- Official Transport Quebec Road Map
- "Profil sociodéographique: Arrondissement de Montréal-Nord" (PDF) (in French). Ville de Montréal. 2013. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- "Family 'destroyed' by death of Montreal man shot by police". CBC News. 15 August 2008.
- "LÂCHE PAS! Tu vas réussir toute une expérience." Commission scolaire de la Pointe-de-l'Île. Retrieved on December 8, 2014. PDF p. 22/24.
- "Secondaire." Commission scolaire de la Pointe-de-l'Île. Retrieved on December 8, 2014.
- "Primaire." Commission scolaire de la Pointe-de-l'Île. Retrieved on December 8, 2014.
- http://www.emsb.qc.ca/fr/adults_fr/pages/adultacademic.asp?id=86 - http://www.emsb.qc.ca/en/adults_en/pages/adultacademic.asp?id=86
- "About Our School." Gerald McShane School. Retrieved on December 8, 2014.
- "Les bibliothèques par arrondissement." Montreal Public Libraries Network. Retrieved on December 7, 2014.