Montreal Roller Derby
|Metro area||Montreal, Quebec|
|Teams||New Skids on the Block (All Stars / Travel team)
Les Sexpos (B travel team)
Les Filles du Roi
Smash Squad (rookie)
Arena St Louis
The league's teams include Les Contrabanditas, Les Filles du Roi, and La Racaille, plus two travel teams.
Formed in March 2007, La Racaille is identified by green and silver uniforms. The name translates in English to "riff raff", and is often used as a derogatory term in France to refer to delinquents and people living on the fringes of society.
La Racaille won the 2008 championship and their captain, Iron Wench, was named MVP for the 2008 season.
Les Filles du Roi
Colloquially known as "FDR", Les Filles du Roi is identified by purple and gold uniforms. The team formed in 2006 and won the championship during the first 2007 derby season. Their second season in 2008 was a little rocky due to a few injuries and a serious player deficit. 2009 was an incredible year for FDR. They played their home season and reigned undefeated. The name, which translates in English to "the King's Daughters", refers to the women that were shipped to New France under the auspices of the French monarchy in the mid-seventeenth century.
Colloquially known as "The Ditas", Les Contrabanditas is identified by red and black uniforms. The Ditas were the first team formed under the Montreal Roller Derby League.
The Montreal Roller Derby League also has two travel teams, The New Skids on the Block and Les Sexpos. These teams are made up of members from all three league teams. In September 2010, The New Skids became the first non-US team to play in the WFTDA playoffs, but were eliminated from qualifying for the 2010 finals by The Boston Massacre of Boston Derby Dames. In 2011, the New Skids took part in the first WFTDA regional tournament bout to feature two non-American teams, losing the 5th place bout at the Eastern Regionals in Baltimore, Maryland to the London Rollergirls London Brawling squad, 137 to 135. As of August 2012, The New Skids are ranked 3rd in WFTDA's East Region. Les Sexpos, as the B team, have also had an impressive record, and when they were beaten by Toronto Roller Derby's CN Power in September 2011, that marked only the first time they had been beaten by a Canadian squad.
|2010||7 E||7 E||DNQ|
|2011||6 E||6 E||DNQ|
|2012||5 E||5 E||DNQ|
|2013||15 WFTDA||4 E||DNQ|
Beast of the East
Every spring, Montreal roller derby hosts an invitational tournament at Arena St Louis known as The Beast of The East. Sixteen teams play a tournament of abbreviated bouts over the course of the weekend. The tournament is open to home teams only - not travel, or "all-star" teams - and is typically the last weekend in April. The 2012 edition played April 20 and 21.
- "Taz - Roulodôme". Taz.ca. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Events and Tickets". Home Bouts schedule. Montreal Roller Derby. Retrieved 6 February 2012.
- Montreal Mirror - News
- Chris "Hurt Reynolds" Seale (2009-01-22). "WFTDA makes a run for the border". Retrieved 2009-01-27.[dead link]
- Montreal Roller Derby - accueil
- Maki, Allan (5 July 2011). "ROLL BABY ROLL". Globe & Mail. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "2010 WFTDA East Playoffs Day 1 Recap - Latest News - Women’s Flat Track Derby Association". Wftda.com. 2010-09-24. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- Justice Feelgood Marshall (18 September 2011). "East 5th Place: 10E London Holds Off 5E Montreal, 137-135". Derby News Network. Retrieved 6 February 2012.
- "Current Rankings - Women’s Flat Track Derby Association". Wftda.com. 2012-08-03. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- Smollet, Ashleigh (12 September 2012). "Toronto Roller Derby". Citynews.ca. Retrieved 6 February 2012.
- "Current Rankings", WFTDA
- "Derby in the Burbs 2010 East Region Playoffs", WFTDA
- Nightmare on 95
- Sugarbush Showdown
- D1 Playoffs: Fort Wayne
- Mercy Less. "Team Canada Roster Announced". Derby News Network. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Beast of The East". Montreal Roller Derby. Retrieved 6 February 2012.