Montrose County, Colorado
|Montrose County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Colorado's location in the U.S.
|Founded||February 11, 1883|
|Named for||City of Montrose|
|• Total||2,243 sq mi (5,809 km2)|
|• Land||2,241 sq mi (5,804 km2)|
|• Water||1.9 sq mi (5 km2), 0.08%|
|• Density||18/sq mi (7/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
- Mesa County - north
- Delta County - northeast
- Gunnison County - east
- Ouray County - southeast
- San Miguel County - south
- San Juan County, Utah - west
National protected areas
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison Wilderness
- Curecanti National Recreation Area (part)
- Dominguez-Escalante National Conservation Area (part)
- Gunnison Gorge National Conservation Area (part)
- Gunnison Gorge Wilderness
- Gunnison National Forest (part)
- Manti-La Sal National Forest (part)
- Old Spanish National Historic Trail
- Uncompahgre National Forest (part)
Trails and byways
- Great Parks Bicycle Route
- Unaweep/Tabeguache Scenic and Historic Byway
- West Elk Loop Scenic Byway
- Western Express Bicycle Route
As of the census of 2010, there were 41,276 people, 16,484 households, and 11,461 families residing in the county. The population density was 18 people per square mile (7/km²). There were 18,250 housing units at an average density of 8 per square mile (3/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 86.70% White, 0.40% Black or African American, 1.10% Native American, 0.60% Asian, 0.10% Pacific Islander, 8.70% from other races, and 2.40% from two or more races. 19.70% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 16,484 households out of which 31.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.10% were married couples living together, 9.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.50% were non-families. 25.80% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.00% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.47 and the average family size was 2.97.
The county population was spread out with 24.70% under the age of 18, 6.40% from 18 to 24, 22.50% from 25 to 44, 28.60% from 45 to 64, and 17.80% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 96.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.00 males.
Also from the census of 2010, the median income for a household in the county was $46,058, and the median income for a family was $52,152. Males had a median income of $41,301 versus $31,659 for females. The per capita income for the county was $22,413. About 7.30% of families and 10.20% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.40% of those under age 18 and 9.80% of those age 65 or over.
- Outline of Colorado
- Index of Colorado-related articles
- Colorado census statistical areas
- Montrose Micropolitan Statistical Area
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Montrose County, Colorado
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- "OMB Bulletin No. 10-02: Update of Statistical Area Definitions and Guidance on Their Uses". United States Office of Management and Budget. December 1, 2009. Retrieved April 19, 2012.
- See the Colorado census statistical areas.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- "American FactFinder; 2010 Census Demographic Profile Summary File". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-31.
- "American FactFinder; 2008-2010 American Community Survey 3-Year Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- Montrose County Government website
- Colorado County Evolution by Don Stanwyck
- Colorado Historical Society
||Mesa County||Delta County|
|San Juan County, Utah||Gunnison County|
|San Miguel County||Ouray County|