Montville Township High School
|Montville Township High School|
|100 Horseneck Road
Montville, NJ 07045
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||"You Can't Hide From Mustang Pride"|
|School district||Montville Township School District|
|NCES School ID||341065004332 |
|Assistant principals||Kennith Nadzak
Michael C. Shera
|Faculty||97.0 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||1,365 (as of 2010-11)|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.07:1|
|Athletics conference||Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference|
Montville Township High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school located in Montville Township, New Jersey, in suburban Morris County. The school was founded in 1972 and is part of the Montville Township School District. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1975.
As of the 2010-11 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,365 students and 97.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 14.07:1. There were 6 students (0.4% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 3 (0.2% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
In the 2011 "Ranking America's High Schools" issue by The Washington Post, the school was ranked 41st in New Jersey and 1,346th nationwide. In Newsweek's May 22, 2007 issue, ranking the country's top high schools, Montville High School was listed in 964th place, the 28th-highest ranked school in New Jersey.
The school was the 39th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 328 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2012 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 47th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 54th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 49th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which included 316 schools across the state.
Schooldigger.com ranked the school tied for 114th out of 389 public high schools statewide in its 2012 rankings (a decrease of 42 positions from the 2011 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (88.2%) and language arts literacy (96.7%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
Based on data for the Class of 2011 from the New Jersey School Report Card, the graduation rate was 98.81%. Average SAT scores were 570 Mathematics, 544 Verbal and 549 Essay, for a total score of 1653, while state averages were 520 Math, 496 Verbal and 541 Essay (1557 total), vs. statewide averages of 517/493/496 and a total of 1506. 587 students took AP classes in 17 courses offered, with 645 exams taken (including students taking exams in nine courses not offered in the school, as well as students who did not take an AP course who took the exam), of which 563 (87.3%) scored 3 or above.
Montville High School competes in the Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference, an athletic conference of private and public high schools located in Morris County, Sussex County and Warren County, in Northern New Jersey, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Montville is assigned to the American Division for most sports. Prior to realignment that took effect in the fall of 2009, Montville was a member of the Northern Hills Conference.
In 2003, the Montville Mustang football team set school records with nine wins and six shut outs, winning in the first round of the state sectionals before losing in the state semi-final game, earning induction into the Montville Township Hall of Fame in 2011.
The 2007 Mustang baseball team defeated Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan, 9-7, to take the North I Group III section title for the first time since 1989.
In 2009, the Montville boys' soccer team tied Madison High School 0-0 in the final of the Morris County tournament. The shared title was the first in the program's history. The Mustangs went on to win their third ever sectional title, beating Northern Highlands Regional High School 2-0 in the final. In 2010, Montville captured the Morris County boys' soccer title outright, winning 1-0 in overtime against Chatham High School. The Mustangs also repeated as sectional champions, defeating Wayne Valley High School 5-1 in the section final for their fourth ever title.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Douglas Sanford - Principal
- Leslee J. Scheckman - Director
- Kenneth Nadzak - Assistant Principal
- Michael C. Shera - Assistant Principal
- Lester Archambeau (born 1967), former professional football player.
- Olivia Blois Sharpe (born 1987), make-up artist and lead caster member of the Style Network reality series Jerseylicious.
- Chris Brauchle (born 1967), former professional soccer player who played for the New York MetroStars, Bayern Munich, Tampa Bay Rowdies.
- Bruce Dostal, former professional baseball player.
- Dilly Duka (born 1989), professional soccer player for the Columbus Crew.
- Lauren English, (born 1989), competitive swimmer who set the United States Open Record in the 50 Meter Backstroke.
- Ashley Lauren Fisher (born 1975), actress, model and spinal cord injury activist.
- Dan O'Dowd: General Manager of the Colorado Rockies.
- Jim Price (born 1966), former professional football player with the Dallas Cowboys.
- Scott Shields (born 1978), political activist.
- Dena Tauriello, drummer for the all-female band Antigone Rising.
- Peter Verniero (born 1959), former New Jersey Attorney General and New Jersey Supreme Court Justice.
- Pete Yorn (born 1974), Singer/Songwriter "Strange Condition" 
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Montville High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- Montville Township High School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools. Accessed September 8, 2011.
- Streib, Lauren. "America's Best High Schools", The Daily Beast, May 6, 2013. Accessed May 8, 2013.
- Mathews, Jay. "The High School Challenge 2011: Montville High School", The Washington Post. Accessed September 8, 2011.
- "The Top of the Class: The complete list of the 1,200 top U.S. schools", Newsweek, May 22, 2007. Accessed May 24, 2007.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 2, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 23, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2011-2012, Schooldigger.com. Accessed February 5, 2013.
- Montville Township High School 2011 School Report Card, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed June 23, 2012.
- League Memberships – 2012-2013, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 27, 2012.
- Staff. "Montville inducts 2003 football champs, eight alumni, administrator into Hall of Fame", The Citizen of Morris County, September 19, 2011. Accessed October 15, 2011.
- 2011 MTHS Hall of Fame: 2003 Football Team. Montville Township High School. Accessed March 29, 2012.
- 2007 Baseball - North I, Group III, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed June 12, 2007.
- "Montville ties Madison in county final", Jersey Sports Now, November 1, 2009.
- "Montville wins section title over No. Highlands", Jersey Sports Now, November 13, 2009.
- "Montville beats Chatham for Morris County title", Jersey Sports Now, October 30, 2010.
- "Montville waxes Wayne Valley in section final", Jersey Sports Now, November 11, 2010.
- Administration, Montville Township High School. Accessed June 27, 2013.
- Yahoo! Sports Profile, "Lester Archambeau", Yahoo! Sports
- Hall of Fame Member Profile: Lester Archambeau, accessed November 29, 2006.
- Marinello, Katie. "'Jerseylicious' Finale: Blois Sharpe Celebrates Future: With the Gatsby future uncertain, Olivia Blois Sharpe considers her options.", MontvillePatch, October 17, 2011. Accessed November 10, 2011. "After five months, the Season 3 finale of “Jerseylicious” aired on Sunday with Montville Township High School grad Olivia Blois Sharpe contemplating her future."
- Hall of Fame, Montville Township High School. Accessed November 10, 2011.
- Hectus, Suzanne, "Bruce Dostal: 'Hitting his pitch'" (PDF file), The Beacon, April 22, 1985. Sports p. 18.
- Hall of Fame Member Profile: Bruce Dostal, Montville Township High School. Accessed November 10, 2011. "Bruce graduated from MTHS in 1983 where he starred on both the football field and baseball diamond. As a football player, Bruce was a wide receiver with exceptional speed and great hands. He was second team All State as senior and All County and All Conference several times during football career at Montville."
- Staff. "Rutgers Recruiting Class Nationally Ranked: Scarlet Knights rated 27th by College Soccer News", Rutgers Scarlet Knights, August 3, 2007. Accessed February 23, 2011. "Highlighting this group of standout players is Dilly Duka (Montville, N.J.), a midfielder from Montville High School, who Reasso has described as one of the best attacking midfielders graduating from the state of New Jersey last spring."
- Lauren English, USA Swimming. Accessed December 9, 2007.
- 2011 MTHS Hall of Fame, Montville Township High School. Accessed March 29, 2012.
- "Hall of Fame Member profile: Dan O'Dowd".
- Fox, Ron. "MONTVILLE PRODUCED SUPER DUO", The Record (Bergen County), January 19, 1999. Accessed November 28, 2007.
- Hall of Fame Member Profile: Jim Price, accessed November 29, 2006.
- Hall of Fame Member Profile: Peter Verniero, accessed November 29, 2006.
- "Hall of Fame Member profile: Pete Yorn".
- Montville High School website
- Montville High School's 2010–11 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Montville Township School District, National Center for Education Statistics
- School newspaper
- MTHS STAGE
- Montville Forensics Team