Monumento al Divino Salvador del Mundo
|Monument to the Divine Savior of the World|
Spanish: Monumento al Divino Salvador del Mundo
|Location||San Salvador, El Salvador|
|Built||November 26, 1942|
|Architect||José María Barahona Villaseñor|
Monumento al Divino Salvador del Mundo (English: Monument to the Divine Savior of the World) is a monument located on Plaza El Salvador del Mundo (The Savior of the World Plaza) in San Salvador City, El Salvador. It consists of a statue of Jesus Christ standing a global sphere of planet earth, placed on top of the tall four-sided concrete base pedestal. It is a landmark located in the country's capital San Salvador. It is a symbol that identifies and represents both El Salvador and Christian Salvadorans throughout the world but not the entire population.
and presented by Araujo's family on November 26, 1942, in connection to the first National Eucharistic Congress in San Salvador. The iconic statue of Christ on the globe sphere of planet earth is part of the Monument to Divino Salvador del Mundo on Plaza El Salvador del Mundo (The Savior of the World Plaza).
The statue was damaged in the 1986 San Salvador earthquake. It was rebuilt and put back in place months after the campaign "Lift up your soul Salvadoran". In front of the plaza, there is a statue lifted in memory of Oscar Arnulfo Romero. On the other side, from that area, it is customary to begin the march of floats during the celebration of the festivities of the city.
The plaza was completely remodeled and entirely upgraded in 2010. As part of the reorganization plan to improve the image of San Salvador, the mayor Norman Quijano made the remodeling and renaming of Plaza las Americas, now named Plaza Salvador del Mundo. The renovation work included the complete renovation of sidewalks, the stands and the area of the flags. The image of Christ, placed about 18 m high, was also revamped with new paint.
Salvadorans observe the collapsed statue of the monument after it toppled during the great 1986 San Salvador earthquake.
- Charlie O'Malley (2009). Frommer's Nicaragua and El Salvador. John Wiley & Sons. p. 256. ISBN 978-0-470-16027-5.
- "Historia "Ciudad de San Salvador"" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 13 January 2008. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "Inicia restauración imagen del Salvador del Mundo". Diario El Mundo (in Spanish). 2 October 2010. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- Jamie García (1 November 2012). "Piden pintar monumento al Divino Salvador del Mundo". elsalvador.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- Čuhaj, George (2010), Standard Catalog of World Paper Money - Modern Issues: 1961 - Present (16 ed.), F+W Media, Inc, p. 337, ISBN 978-1-4402-1159-1
- Media related to Monumento al Divino Salvador del Mundo at Wikimedia Commons