Mooka Railway Mooka Line
Mooka 14 DMU at Mashiko Station, April 2006
|Locale||Ibaraki, Tochigi prefectures|
|Line length||41.9 km (26.04 mi)|
|Track gauge||3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm)|
The Mooka Line (真岡線 Mooka-sen?) is a Japanese railway line between Shimodate Station, in Chikusei, Ibaraki and Motegi Station in Motegi, Tochigi. It is the only railway line operated by the Mooka Railway (真岡鐵道 Mooka Tetsudō?). The third sector company took over the former JR East line in 1988. In addition to regular diesel local trains, the line also operates the SL Mooka steam service for tourists using C11 and C12 class steam locomotives.
- 1 April 1912: 16.5 km Mooka Light Railway (真岡軽便線?) line opens between Shimodate and Mooka.
- 15 December 1920: Entire line opened to Motegi (route length of 42.0 km).
- 2 September 1922: Line renamed Mooka Line.
- 1 November 1982: Freight services discontinued.
- 11 September 1984: Line closure approved.
- 11 April 1988: JR line closes and becomes Mooka Railway Mooka Line. Route length is reduced to 41.9 km.
- 27 March 1994: SL Mooka steam train operation starts.
(As of October 2008)
- Mooka 14 diesel railcars x9
- E10 class diesel railcar x1
- C11 Class steam locomotive x1
- C12 Class steam locomotive x1
- OHa & OHaFu coaches x3
- DE10 Class diesel locomotive x1
|Station||Japanese||Distance (km)||SL Mooka||Transfers||Location|
|Shimodate||下館||0.0||●||East Japan Railway Company (JR East): Mito Line
Kantō Railway: Jōsō Line
|Mashiko||益子||25.1||●||Mashiko, Haga District|
|Tatara||多田羅||31.2||●||Ichikai, Haga District|
|Ten'yaba||天矢場||39.2||｜||Motegi, Haga District|
- Mooka Railway company overview. Retrieved on 8 October 2008. (Japanese)
- "全国の現役機関車をめぐって" Japan Railfan Magazine, October 2008 issue, p.133
- Mooka Railway official website (Japanese)