Moon Area School District
|Moon Area School District|
|Type and location|
|Grades||K – 12th|
|Location||1407 Beers School Road, Coraopolis, PA 15108|
|Superintendent||Mr. Curt Baker|
|Budget||$62.4 million 2012-13 |
|Students and staff|
|Students||Approx. 3,723 students|
|Teachers||274.75 teachers (2010)|
|Colors||Red and White
|Website||Moon Area School District|
The Moon Area School District is located about 13 miles northwest of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It serves a portion of the West Hills/Airport Area that includes Crescent and Moon townships. The district's administration offices are located inside Moon Area High School, at 8353 University Boulevard, Coraopolis, PA 15108.
- 1 Moon Area School District facilities
- 2 Academic achievement
- 3 In the news
- 4 District in the spotlight
- 5 External links
- 6 References
Moon Area School District facilities
The district currently owns seven schools all throughout Moon Township:
- J.A. Allard Elementary School
- J.H. Brooks Elementary School
- R. Hyde Elementary School
- McCormick Elementary School –
- Bon Meade Elementary School
- Moon Area Middle School
- Moon Area High School
Allard, Hyde and McCormick elementary schools are 'sister schools' as the three buildings are identical.
Senior High School
11th Grade Reading
2009 – 60% on grade level. In Pennsylvania, 65% of 11th graders on grade level.
2008 – 61%, State – 65%
2007 – 65%, State – 65%
11th Grade Math:
2009 – 57% on grade level. In Pennsylvania, 56% of 11th graders are on grade level.
2008 – 54%, State – 56%
2007 – 52%, State – 53%
11th Grade Science:
2009 – 37% on grade level. State: 40% of 11th graders were on grade level.
2008 – 42%
In 2009, the 8th grade was ranked 102nd out of 141 western Pennsylvania middle schools based on three years of student academic achievement in PSSAs in: reading, math writing and one year of science. (Includes schools in: Allegheny County, Beaver County, Butler County, Fayette County, Westmoreland County, and Washington County
In the news
Moon Area School Board members, in 2004, voted to undertake a massive renovation project of the school district's middle school and high school campus. The construction, set to begin after the 2005–06 school year, prompted township residents to elect a new majority of school board members opposed to the construction plans. The plan was halted in 2006 after a 5–4 school board vote.
The new plan calls for building a new high school and renovating the current high school, making it the new middle school.
District employee contracts
In March 2007, Moon Area School Board approved a five-year contract for the district's support staff. The new contract included an increase of 2.85 percent and the support staff members must now pay part of their health care benefits.
Teacher strike, eventual contract (2010–2011)
In November 2010, Moon Area School District teachers went on strike for three weeks before returning to the classroom.
In June 2011, Moon Area School Board members approved a five-year contract with the teachers union that included no raise the first year and for salary increases as follows in the next four years of the deal: 4 percent, 3.2 percent, 4.5 percent and 4.4 percent.
School board votes to furlough at least 20 staff members
Without any warning, Moon Area School Board members voted, 7–2, to furlough at least 20 staff members in June 2011.
District in the spotlight
Given the district's location to the Pittsburgh International Airport and access to the city, many of the school's students, faculty and buildings have been thrust into the spotlight.
The school's marching band has, at times, performed at the airport for presidential visits.
Some notable spotlights include:
- Scenes from the 1979 movie The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh were shot in the gym at the high school.
- President Gerald Ford made a surprise visit to Moon a day after pardoning President Richard M. Nixon on Sept. 9, 1974.
- A day after grabbing the Democrat nod for president, then-Vice President Al Gore held a rally at the school's gym on March 16, 2000.
- Chute, Eleanor and Niederberger, Mary., 16 of 43 school districts in Allegheny County hike taxes, July 15, 2012
- Moon Senior High School Academic Achievement Report Card 2009
- 2009 PSSAs: Reading, Math, Writing and Science Results by Grade and School
- Pennsylvania Department of Education Report on Science PSSA 2008 August 2008.
- The Rankings: Eighth grade, Pittsburgh Business Times, May 15, 2009.
- Gigler, Dan (May 12, 2004). "Board OKs school project". post-gazette.com. Retrieved April 7, 2007.
- Gigler, Dan (November 10, 2005). "Building project anger wins day". post-gazette.com. Retrieved April 7, 2007.
- Gigler, Dan (April 27, 2006). "Moon tosses out all contracts for high school". post-gazette.com. Retrieved April 7, 2007.
- "Moon Area moves ahead with McCormick Elementary plans". The Times. UK. Retrieved March 28, 2007.
- Your Moon Township, MASD Board of Education gets D-, June 7, 2010
- "Board gives support service staff contract final approval". yourmoontownship.com. Retrieved March 28, 2007.
- "All Moon Area students to return to classrooms Monday". triblive.com. Retrieved July 3, 2011.
- "Deal for Moon teachers called compromise". triblive.com. Retrieved July 3, 2011.
- "At least 20 Moon Area staff positions eliminated". yourmoontwp.com. Retrieved July 3, 2011.
- Majors, Dan (December 28, 2006). "In wake of Nixon pardon, Ford visited Pittsburgh". post-gazette.com. Retrieved February 18, 2007.
- O'Toole, James (March 16, 2000). "Gore, in Moon, asks if Bush is qualified". post-gazette.com. Retrieved February 18, 2007.